Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are shinguards allowed in rugby?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Are shinguards allowed in rugby?Simple as, to protect from impact during big tackles.Ive never seen them before but i was just wondering are they illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to wear them, so I would presume that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Same comment as Amz +

Can't see them being useful during big tackles as its rare a big tackle is on the shin.

I can see them taking the sting out of a kick to the shin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

They're allowed. You notice one or two Italians wearing them sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

They're allowed alright, and necessary if playing in the front row!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

They're only needed when Stringer is playing!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

ah u wont need them...who tackles the shins? they just itch me..only time i can se u needing them is if someone tries to stamp on shins or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I wouldn't even consider walking onto the pitch not wearing shinguards. Of all positions, hooker is worst, props next.

But how would a prop feel a kick through the layers of fat???

its a joke!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It is a joke how fat they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

If they werent allowed them I'd be surprised. Sure you can get away with those forearm bashed padding things to soften the blow when they smack you in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

With the swinging feet in the scrums I think any hooker is insane not to wear them.

Rugby shinguards tend to be much bigger than soccer equivalents, and often incorporate ankle ball protection too.

I've had 2 pairs, 1 molded plastic and the other had 5 flat lengths of plastic in a row. Both pairs had IRB approved tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Trojan wrote:
    Both pairs had IRB approved tags.

Thats what you need on all your equipment theses days. Referees are suppoed to check. There is also a new rule being considered where all strapping/padding must be supervised by the referees while being put on.

Check out these, not irb approved but cover them in strapping and who will ever know.
    http://www.mcsport.ie/pages/Category.aspx?categoryId=543

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

shin gaurds are for sissy soccer players...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

When I was playing, I started wearing them after having my shins stood on once too often. (I was in the second row).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well, a friend of mine who was used to playing rugby with soccer shin guards (winger who only ever touched the ball 7 times this season; go figure...) was asked to remove them by the ref once...
    In fairness, the hard shell was like a knife edge and somebody tackling low could potentially get injured/cut on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I've played hooker for years and you don't get hit as often as you would think in the scrum (or maybe I was just doing all the hitting). When you do, you become immune to it and its not usually that hard as you might get in soccer say where its all kick based.

They are perfectly legal but rarely seen on the rugby field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

daveirl wrote:

read your own post.

(b) Shin Guards.A player may wear shin guards worn under the socks with paddingincorporated in non-rigid fabric with no part of the padding thicker than 0.5cm when compressed

non-rigid fabric. I assume that means its just like shoulder pads.....on your leg....

Advertisement