Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Co Co Special Speed Limits, N8, N22 & N25

Options
  • 05-03-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/437238438.pdf

Looks like the long talked about 120kph limit is going to happen on the N22/N25 Ballincollig bypass, as well as the N25 Carrigtohill bypass and the N8 Watergrasshill bypass.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good. Basicially the Ballincollig bypass, Watergrasshill bypass and the N25 from Dunkettle - east of Carrigtwohill where the road goes to hell :)

Good news, but now lets have the green signs replaced by nice blue ones, plz :)

Edit: When do these come into force?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It's outright dangerous not to introduce motorway restrictions with the increased speed limits.

At present it's perfectly legal for peds, cyclists, tractors etc. to mingle with what will now be 120km/h (in theory) traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

Zoney wrote:
    It's outright dangerous not to introduce motorway restrictions with the increased speed limits.

I totally agree. It's sheer madness. Within a few years we'll have hundreds of km of unrestricted HQDC when upgrades are completed on the N6, N7, N8 and N9. Unfortunately because of a lack of foresight on behalf of the NRA and minister Cullen it will probably take a serious accicent involving a tractor, learner driver or cyclist for these roads to recieve motorway restrictions.

Interesting to note that the N25 upgrade in a certain ministers constituency will be under motorway restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

so the N7 from portlaois to Limerick will be 120km/hr not bad
    what of the limerick south bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

I totally agree. It's sheer madness. Within a few years we'll have hundreds of km of unrestricted HQDC when upgrades are completed on the N6, N7, N8 and N9. Unfortunately because of a lack of foresight on behalf of the NRA and minister Cullen it will probably take a serious accicent involving a tractor, learner driver or cyclist for these roads to recieve motorway restrictions.

Interesting to note that the N25 upgrade in a certain ministers constituency will be under motorway restrictions.

It will be tolled as a PPP so nothing special.

this was always going to be motorway when announced in 1999 as a pilot PPP project. Cullen was not even a senior minister back then.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote:
    It will be tolled as a PPP so nothing special.

this was always going to be motorway when announced in 1999 as a pilot PPP project. Cullen was not even a senior minister back then.

What of the Limerick South Ring Phase 2, also PPP, but that is not going to be a motorway. PPP never gauranteed motorway status.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think he means will it be 120km/hr. I was on it the other day myself, felt like I was driving Miss Daisy doing 100km/hr and cars whizzing past me :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

There's probably an alternative route where the N25 is having motorway restrictions. The N8 Glanmire bypass should probably be made the M8 (no toll though please :) ) as people can just go through Glanmire instead of using the motorway. The same can probably be said of the Ballincollig bypass. I don't think there's an alternative route for the N25 just east of Dunkettle.

Might be worth writing letters and stating the case where roads are going to be 120km/hr and alternative routes are available for restricted traffic.

PS: You don't think motorway restrictions actually keep learners off do you? :p

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah there is :) Head through Glounthaune and through Carrigtwohill along the old road. Getting from Carrigtwohill to Midleton without being on the DC is harder though, although with the state of the DC road this bit obviously isnt included in the 120 upgrade.

Although I welcome the speed upgrade as the road is BUILT for 120k, please put it under motorway restrictions, its crazy not to.

And fix the bit where the road is sinking. Thats more dangerous at 120.

And fix the bit at Dunkettle where the bridge is sinking. Hitting THAT at 120 may take off your suspension.

Stark wrote:
    I don't think there's an alternative route for the N25 just east of Dunkettle.

The motorway could begin at the first junction immediately after Dunkettle interchange along the N25 east; there's an alternative route to Carrigtwohill from there on. It's only from Dunkettle interchange itself that there is no alternative route; motorway restrictions could not begin just off that junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Unfortunately because of a lack of foresight on behalf of the NRA and minister Cullen it will probably take a serious accicent involving a tractor, learner driver or cyclist for these roads to recieve motorway restrictions.

On the other hand it would only be a matter of time before someone got killed on the back roads that non-motorway drivers would have to take... its a death trap because no maintaince seems to have taken place in the years since the new road (n25) opened...

I would prefer to see an l-plate drive doing 120kph on the main road than 80kph on the old cork road...

jhegarty wrote:
    I would prefer to see an l-plate drive doing 120kph on the main road than 80kph on the old cork road...

Would you rather see a tractor do 50km/h (and that's being generous) on the back road or the hard shoulder (or even inner/"slow" lane) of the dual carriageway with other traffic passing at 120km/h?

Even for cyclists and pedestrians, the old road may be a deathtrap for them too (that's another subject for discussion), but probably marginally less so than the hard shoulder of a 120km/h DC.

There's a reason for motorway *restrictions* even if we have other problems in this country regarding getting people through driving tests, having too many HGVs on the roads (lower % of goods by rail freight even than Luxembourg), and having poor quality rural/local roads without footpaths even in areas with housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Zoney wrote:
    Even for cyclists and pedestrians, the old road may be a deathtrap for them too (that's another subject for discussion), but probably marginally less so than the hard shoulder of a 120km/h DC.

Getting hit at 120km/h leaves you just as dead as 80 when on foot.... and I would rather be on the straight road with the large hard sholder than the twisty back road with none...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, but a car doing 80km\h has a better chance of taking evasive action. Its madness to have vehicles doing 120km/h alongside pedestrians and (particularly) cyclists.

jhegarty wrote:
    Getting hit at 120km/h leaves you just as dead as 80 when on foot.... and I would rather be on the straight road with the large hard sholder than the twisty back road with none...

If this is the case why should we have motorways at all? The next logical step to your arguement would be to remove the motorway restrictions on the M1/4/6/7/8/9/11/32/50 so pedestrians and cyclists can travel along them! :eek:

I'd be in favour of removing the motorway restrictions on the M50. The traffic crawls along it anyway, and it would make a nice cycle route to work. Although it is a magnet for every **** driver in Dublin, so cyclists would probably be mowed down after the first week, traffic moving a 50km/hr or not ;)

I heard one of the best cyclists in the country was killed by a granny driving in the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway a while back, not sure if that was true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Er, what section of the N25 is going to be upgraded to motorway ?

I'm dismayed that there's no mention of upgrading the old N8 from Cork to Fermoy to 100 k/ph. 80 kph ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

Niall1234 wrote:
    Er, what section of the N25 is going to be upgraded to motorway ?

Waterford City Bypass (PPP Pilot Project announced in 1999) delayed by Woodstown Viking Settlement (now a National Monumnet) had to re-route road around it. Construction started in April 2006 by Ascon and Dragados of Spain and will be operated by NTR

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the bye-laws are in 4 parts and run to 100+ pages

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%20Nav/Document%20View?did=781036538&pageUrl=/Global+Nav/Home

There are errors in the draft, e.g. one speed limit is stated as "80 kilometres" not "80 kilometres per hour".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I note that today was the last day that you could make submissions about the proposed speed limits. http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%20Nav/Document%20View?did=781036538&pageUrl=/Global+Nav/Home

When will the new limits become law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

E92 wrote:
    I note that today was the last day that you could make submissions about the proposed speed limits. http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%20Nav/Document%20View?did=781036538&pageUrl=/Global+Nav/Home

When will the new limits become law?
    They will have to see what all the submissions say first, if there is something profound, it could go back to public consultation. Then it goes to the transport committee and then the full council for approval.

Advertisement