Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

express passport??

Options
  • 05-03-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

Does anyone know how quickly you can get a passport in Dublin, I cant find find mine , less than 2 weeks? is this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

jon1981 wrote:
    hi,

Does anyone know how quickly you can get a passport in Dublin, I cant find find mine , less than 2 weeks? is this possible?

I know people who have got a passport in a day so it's possible. Call the passport office and explain the situation and they'll tell you what you need to do.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

As far as I know, if it's an emergency you can get a Garda stamp the form, my old boss had to get one in a matter of hours one day and he did it after getting the form stamped by the Gardai. It might be worth calling the passport office for some clarification tbh, at least they will be able to give you a definitive answer.
    Yeah, what Pascal said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

You can get a emergency passport but you have to prove that you will be travelling within 10 days. And you have to pay an extra supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

got mine in 6 hours but they were picky about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I once got 8 passports within a day, with no ID or confirmation of flight date/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is a difference between an urgent passport and an emergency passport.

An urgent passport is processed when a person intends to travel within the next few days (or on the day of issue in some cases). It costs €50 in addition to the usual passport fee and usually requires proof of travel.

An emergency passport is a different matter. It is only issued in very exceptional circumstances where travel is unavoidable (eg. sudden illness/death of a family member abroad). It costs €100 in additional to the normal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i applied for mine using passport express in the post office. it takes 10 working days so i should be getting mine tomorrow :D as has been mentioned you can get one quicker dealing with the passport office direct but they'll want to see your airplane ticket to ensure your on the level about needing it quickly.

also if youve lost your passport you will have to report it to the gardai so they can cancel it with the passport office. you'll have to get your longform birthcert if your getting a new passport now seeing as you dont have your old passport

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got one within half an hour (the taxi duration between Dublin airport and Foreign Affairs on Stephen's Green) when I discovered at check-in that my passport had expired. It was quite expensive, suspect it was the emergency supplement. Handwritten and only lasted a month IIRC, although I did get a free ten year one to replace it after I got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

blorg wrote:
    I got one within half an hour (the taxi duration between Dublin airport and Foreign Affairs on Stephen's Green) when I discovered at check-in that my passport had expired.
    :eek: The stress of that would have killed me especially if the flight booking couldn't be changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

cheers for the replys, im travelling in 2 weeks so ill just go in and queue! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got mine within 2 days about 2 weeks ago.

Had to bring all the forms, proof of travel and pay an extra €50 and que up for about an hour.

My advise would be get there as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I once got 8 passports within a day, with no ID or confirmation of flight date/etc.
    Oh... When can we expect to see the fruits of this terror plot then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got mine this morning so the 10 day thing is on the level, who'da thought a gov agency could actually be efficient :D

must say im not all that impressed with the new passport, the layout looks very cold and the g's and ys in my name are missing their tails, still on the plus side i dont look like a columbian terrorist anymore. in fact look quite handsome, must remember to use that miracle photobooth again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I got mine in 2 days with proof of travel but didn't have to pay the extra 50 yoyos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I know of someone who got one in an hour! They got to checkin at Dublin airport, were told their passport wasn't in proper condition and they were into town and back out again in time for the flight!

Cost 100 euro extra I think though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

where is the passport office,,,, stephens green is it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Package wrote:
    where is the passport office,,,, stephens green is it?
    Molesworth street, between Kildare St and Dawson St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

thanks mate, thats great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A friend of mine is heading to England next week and he has just realised his passport is expired. Would he get away with a full drivers licence instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

A friend of mine is heading to England next week and he has just realised his passport is expired. Would he get away with a full drivers licence instead?

Yup, getting to England's easy as long as you have photo ID I believe. A friend of mine got to London on a drivers licence not too long ago anyway, so he'll be alright with just that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends how he's travelling. They rarely check on the boat. Some airlines require a passport, some will accept Photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus will accept an Irish or UK drivers license for travel between Ireland and the UK. Aer Lingus will accept a slew of other things including bus passes and work IDs. Note this is only for the UK which has no border controls with Ireland, photo ID requirements are a matter for the individual airlines. To go to the continent you absolutely need a passport/EU national ID card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

blorg wrote:
    Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus will accept an Irish or UK drivers license for travel between Ireland and the UK. Aer Lingus will accept a slew of other things including bus passes and work IDs. Note this is only for the UK which has no border controls with Ireland, photo ID requirements are a matter for the individual airlines. To go to the continent you absolutely need a passport/EU national ID card.
    Thats only if your a UK or Irish citizen though I think.

Advertisement