Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HT to Dual Core - Will old fan work?

Options
  • 04-03-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I want to upgrade my Dimension 9150 from 3.4Ghz HT to Dual Core 3.4or so.

Can i reuse the old fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Depends if your Processor is 478 socket or 775.The newer ones like Duo and dual core are 775 which is pinless chips they use a different fan with different type of clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

duo an dual are different? (gotta watch for that)
    Both the old and the new cpu are socket 775.

Am i wasting money upgrading a 3.4 HT to a 3.4 Dual Core?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

yankinlk wrote:
    Am i wasting money upgrading a 3.4 HT to a 3.4 Dual Core?

I doubt you'll find much difference... if your motherboard supports it you should try and get a core 2 duo processor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Dimension 9150 uses the current Intel socket 775 but what CPU's it supports is another question entirely.

The chipset it uses is the 945P which is capable of supporting the latest CPU's but needs a bios update and Dell don't spell out if they support newer CPU's.

It does seem to support the Pentium D as I can see links of Google with those CPU's present in the 9150 so that is the safe bet I would say.

Dell do mention in their bios updates history support for new CPU's so if you already haven't do flash the latest bios before installing the CPU which appears to be A03 for the 9150.

A Pentium D is a real dual core so it should make things a bit more responsive and a lot better with multi-threaded apps than the HT single core P4.

As for the Dell cooler you should be able to re-use it though check the temps when under load to make sure it is working properly.

Advertisement