Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Icon Executable.

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the Windows XP executable file that runs the speaker icon in the system tray? or the name of the process for the system tray speaker icon in the "Processes" tab within the Task Manager?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is 'sndvol32.exe' without the quotes, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Ruu wrote:
    It is 'sndvol32.exe' without the quotes, as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply ruu,

I know that the sndvol32.exe runs the volume controls screen but I'm not sure it actually puts the speaker in the system tray too?

I don't see the soundvol32 appearing anywhere in the processes tab of "Task Manager". I wonder if it's called something else in there?

The reason I'm looking for this is in relation to the ongoing issue with the speaker icon going missing from the system tray.

When any item goes missing from the my system tray, I just kill the process under Task Manager & run the executable file again & that puts the icon back in the system tray for me. That save me having to restart the PC, sometimes even on a restart the speaker icon is missing & that's why I'm trying to identify the program that actually puts it in the system tray.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Check your Audio properties in the Control Panel, if there is anywhere you will find a check box for placing the volume control on the notification area its there.

Failing that, make sure that its not being swallowed by XP resorting the icons to hide the lesser used ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Check your Audio properties in the Control Panel, if there is anywhere you will find a check box for placing the volume control on the notification area its there.

Failing that, make sure that its not being swallowed by XP resorting the icons to hide the lesser used ones.

Aidan,
    I'm well familiar with the check mark you refer to & the hide when inactive settings but that's not the issue here.

I'm talking about the very well known but never definatively resolved Microsoft glitch whereby some system tray icons fail to load at startup.

There are many, many MS articles & posts relating to this problem.

Restarting the PC normally corrects this but that's a pain in the butt.
    It's much faster to kill the problematic process & start it again.

Some claim it's to do with the speed of your machine at startup verses the amount of Apps looking to launch at startup & that the machine & OS can start too quick thereby not giving all the Apps time to populate the system tray.

99% of the time if you discover that an icon is gone missing from your tray it will actually still be running in the processes tab of the task manager.

Anyway, that's why I'm looking for the .exe which starts the speaker icon, this little speaker icon seems to be the one most effected in my case.

-

Advertisement