Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory upgrade on laptop

Options
  • 04-03-2007 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

i have a loptop with 1024 gb ram and windows xp. i want to upgrade it to 2gb ram.Is it difficult to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not normally, what make/model is your laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭coolkid

its compaq - im not sure what model. I just bought it before christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Crucial.com/eu or shop4memory.com both have areas on their site where you can enter in your laptop model and brings up what you need to know. Crucial actually have memory scanner software to detect what type you need. You won't get much cheaper than those two places except maybe eBay.

I know with Dell computers, there is a little hatch on the underside of the laptop that you can take off and insert the memory modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

A lot of 1GB laptops have both their memory slots filled with 2 X 512Mb Modules. You may find you have to ditch them to upgrade to 2Mb with 2 X 1Gb modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

coolkid wrote:
    its compaq - im not sure what model. I just bought it before christmas

Look at the bottom or it may have the model in the top right corner.
    Failing that you can use the Crucial memory scanner to tell you the model.
    There is a panel underneath that you unscrew and insert the memory card. Same care needed as with PC memory. Either supplier is fine although shop4memory will be faster and may be cheaper, owing to no delivery charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement