Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather for lunar eclipse

Options
  • 03-03-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

As boards is changing there servers atm,a gliches can be expected and so if you cant find the Astronomy thread,if interested there is a lunar eclipse of the moon starting around 20:18 and ending close to midnight.

Weather will be clear and chilly with best viewing for the entire event in East and North.In the SW high level cloud will obscure some of the celestrial event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Should be cool, crisp and clear here, looking forward to it.

Currently 1.8°C and falling .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Here's a related question on the eclipse...do tidal forces from the moon and sun have a noticeable effect on weather and movements of airmasses, especially at times when their forces are combined, such as during eclipses?

Wertz wrote:
    Here's a related question on the eclipse...do tidal forces from the moon and sun have a noticeable effect on weather and movements of airmasses, especially at times when their forces are combined, such as during eclipses?

Good question Wertz, never thought about it before.

We know the moon affects water - gives us tides.
    The clouds are made of water - ergo you would think the moon should have some kind of influence.

I was watching a programme earlier on the Discovery channel where they had some Geologists claiming that when the moon and sun are in alignment in front of earth, such as during a solar eclipse, that earthquakes are more likely in fault zones directly in the path of the eclipse or during full moons when the moon is at perigee (closest to earth).

However, given that clouds are formed by dynamic movements of air, the comparatively slow movement of the moons influence may be cancelled out for all intents and purposes.

Its an interesting question though, I suspect there may be certain rare weather events where the moon may have an effect, time to google it methinks!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The eclipse begins at 8.18 pm. Conditions at the moment are excellent in Kildare with less than an hour to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Still nothin here in waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Keeping an eye on it here. You can just about see it
    on my webcam: www.arctictree.com/weather

Lovely and clear here - 2.6c

A

Still totally full moon in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

it'll be another half hour before it becomes noticeable to the eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clear and cold here, sadly I don't have my tripod handy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

robk24 wrote:

Super pic rob - hope you'll be able to post a few pics of the eclipse as well...

• Advertisement

robk24 wrote:

Rob thats a brilliant picture, how do you manage to capture the moon so well?

Just been out and still cannot see any difference to the moon, only difference outside from earlier is that the frost on my car roof is now finger rubbing proof!!

pretty noticable here now, lower left side of the disk starting to darken.
    No orange colouring yet though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

robk24 wrote:

is that pic upside down?

yeah in haste forgot to turn it... :rolleyes:

its kickin in fast now...

mmoon2iw2.jpg

Considerably cropped...took me about 10 tries to find the right exposure time

9.53 its going to be hard with over exposure now...

right way up this time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Nice picture Wertz! :)

It's well covered now, and the Earth's curvature is clearly visible from the shadow. I'm in Bray, and conditions here are perfect for viewing.

What are you guys using to get those shots?

robk24 wrote:
    9.53 its going to be hard with over exposure now...

right way up this time!!!

Thats a belter.

Using 3yr old fuji s3000 with manual exposure and full 10* zoom, on a tripod out the bedroom window :D
    I suspect rob has a very long telephoto lens and a decent digital SLR...much sharper and cleaner image.

Its pretty well in shadow right now.

The shadow has an orange kind of look from here in the countryside.
    Wish I could take a pic to show.

Is clear and frosty right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I managed a digiscoped shot.

8 sec exposure, got the coppery colour fairly well, though otherwise fairly blurred.

Its a poor manual focus on the camera, though happy to get anything.

• Advertisement

pictures i've taken are with a 4mp digital camera...

samsung a4, nowt special, just attached to the eyepiece on my telescope, also using a slr camera piggy backed on my 8" newt with a 400 zoom lens but its film so cant process until monday or tuesday....

here's one unprocessed at totality...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Well its been one of the best lunar eclipses in terms of the weather being kind to us and doin what we want for a change.Havin seen an eclipse as early as this in a long while either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I suppose I can be thankful for living in the North/East of the country. We were blessed with the weather last night, for the time when it mattered most. Very impressed with the sky in general, it was the second-best that I had ever seen it in terms of clarity. Lovely milky way to be seen.

The moon itself was a lovely shade of copper. It's nice to see it. I can't find out when the next one is on. Does anyone have an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 melissau76

Its supposed to be 28th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes we had excellent weather here in Dublin. Perfectly clear night, its a pity about the light pollution from the city. Would love to have been away from the city. Nevertheless saw my first lunar eclipse and took a few pictures. Here is the best one I got.

LunarEclipse010.jpg

Advertisement