Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asus commando or evga 680i

Options
  • 03-03-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience or these two boards. I have a choice of either one. I do like a bit of overclocking and to be honest I really dont know if i will have the cash to go sli, any opinions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

I've the EVGA 680i, and I'm happy with the performance.
    I'd go with the EVGA for a couple of reasons.
    Price - it's competitive on price now with the Intel 975x boards. see dabs.ie
    Support - If you do intend to buy one, hold off. EVGA are going to be first to market with a revised board which fixes the issue of overclocking quadcore cpu's beyond a 1333FSB. They have also been first up with BIOS revisions.
    EVGA's warranty is Lifetime.

If the added features of the ASUS are worth the premium then go for it.

"Dear 680i Users,

To clear things up for everyone asking how you can tell the difference with the EVGA 680i SLI boards with the fix for the Intel Quad Core Processor; EVGA will be doing a small change to its part number for this particular SKU.

EVGA will modify the last digit of its part number to reflect this change

122-CK-NF68-AR will be replaced with 122-CK-NF68-A1 That's the one you'll be looking for.
    122-CK-NF68-TR will be replaced with 122-CK-NF68-T1

EVGA will also be making these available to online etailers and retailers for customers purchasing on March 5th.

Thank you,
    EVGA Management Team"

Of course, The Intel Badaxe boards have none of the issues that plagued the 680i's initially (since resolved for many with BIOS revisions but some reckon its actually physically bad boards that are the cause) and it does crossfire, which will be handy when some day in the future the ATI DX10 cards do come out :)

What kind of graphics card are you running now?

I'm using the "lowly" 7900GS in SLI and am pretty much delighted with the performance. Outdoors in Oblivion with everything moderately high I'm getting 40fps @ 1600x1050 res. (Cards are slightly overclocked) SLI will be a requirement if your going to game on a huge monitor like a 24" or 30" Dell.
    I'm happy with my 7900's, and won't be moving until nvidia's DX10 cards are running sweet in Vista, which is not the case right now. A single 8800GTS 320mb card will outperform the pair of 7900GS'

...ack, thought the commando was asus' 680i, it ain't, thats the striker extreme or something, in which case, go commando.
    :D

wingnut32 wrote:
    Has anyone any experience or these two boards. I have a choice of either one. I do like a bit of overclocking and to be honest I really dont know if i will have the cash to go sli, any opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

thanks, i have an 8800gtx and to be honest I wouldnt have the cash to get another for sli..Im trying to justify going commando by thinking that in a years time when perhaps I do have the money for another gtx there will be a bigger and better graphics card anyway. By the way I use a 21" CRT for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Evga are replacing all boards for quad core users as soon as they have stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Go with the Commando.

i need reasons richard?

• Advertisement

i need reasons richard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Just bought an EVGA board from Komplett, and im wondering if i got the new one or the old? Crap!!!

Off to komplett forum to post...

Lads, what is the main difference between the two board models?

srdb20 wrote:
    Lads, what is the main difference between the two board models?

Which? the AR and the revised model the A1?
    Fix for the quadcore overclocking issue is pretty much it.
    I think ya can still do quadcore up to 1333FSB on the AR but beyond that you need the new board.

Hopes you don't mind me answering. But any 965 board will do want you want. If you've no intention of going SLI, no point paying the extra bucks for the 680i. Is the commando some kind of premium level 965 board? A gigabyte DS3 will do the job either. They'll all give you 1600+FSB overclocks.

wingnut32 wrote:
    i need reasons richard?

• Advertisement

Ah thats not too much to worry about, i can always crank the multiplier up a smidge more, if and when im O.C it.

Cheers for the reply Cassiel...

Advertisement