Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics......or chemistry???

Options
  • 03-03-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hey there, im in Ucd general science at the minute but we have to make our 2nd year choices by next friday and i could use some help from you guys with choosing. When i started i was aiming for physiology but my lack of interest in biology caused me to drop it for 2nd semester and ruling that out. I thought i wanted to do physics, even back wen i finished the lc, but over the last while i have become more interested in chemistry. So i suppose the question is really which has the better postgrad/job opportunities in ireland?? I can see physics getting very f*cking difficult aswel.
    Please give me some advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well let me tell you chemistry gets pretty f*cking difficult as well. Also depending on your course content you might find a bit of overlap between the two subjects (i.e. quantum mechanics).

Anyhow the lack of postgrad positions shouldn't influence your decision, if you're good enough go abroad and do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Ye i like the way the overlap and compliment each other. Im only a first yr and already notice it slightly. I would love to do a joint honours degree in both but i would have to work seriously hard at them to keep on top of things, and i would imagine the contact hours would be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I have a friend who did Joint honours Physics and Chemistry and it was slightly more work than a single honours but I think it's easier to do that now with modularisation. You should ask one of the lecturers about it to find out exactly. I think Earle Waghorne coordinated the joint honours physics/chemistry in my year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Well let me tell you chemistry gets pretty f*cking difficult as well. Also depending on your course content you might find a bit of overlap between the two subjects (i.e. quantum mechanics).

Anyhow the lack of postgrad positions shouldn't influence your decision, if you're good enough go abroad and do one.

Agreed, chemistry does get pretty tough, but there is also an overlap. Subjects like biochemistry/biomolecules/chemical biology and quantum mechanics would have an overlap of chemistry/biology and chemistry/physics respectively.

Also the lack of postgrad positions shouldn't influence your decision because it is very likely you won't know until the point where you've finished your degree what exactly you would like to do for you post grad.

Advertisement