Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Dell homepage in IE7

Options
  • 03-03-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Bloody annoying after buying PC from dell & use IE7 on occasion

Tried changing it but it keeps on defaulting to dell homepage, Tried to change it with regedit but no joy

Did a registry check and no joy

Anyone got any ideas other than the obvious change to firefox

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've never had that problem with a Dell. Are you using some antispyware or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yep using zone alarm pro and nod 32 and ad watch

I use firefox and no problem there but I cannot change the homepage from Dell to say google etc??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Scroll down to 'pre-set' for instructions on how to fix it.

http://naut.homestead.com/files/locked/locked.html
    **edit** Actually, here it is pasted here in case others have the same prob:

1) Pre-Set Homepages

METHOD #1: Disable Pre-loaded Toolbar Extensions:

- a) In IE, click on Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, and scroll down to the 'Browsing' section.
    - b) Uncheck the box next to "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)"> 'OK'.
    This will disable all IE extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects (BHO's)- some of which you
    might want to keep. You can re-enable the wanted ones later.
    - c) Close all instances of IE, then restart it.
    - d) See if you can now reset your homepage to the URL of choice, using the standard method.
    - e) If you can, and the Homepage you want 'sticks' after subsequent restarts, then one of the IE extensions that you disabled is responsible. To determine which one, you will have to disable
    them selectively, one by one, til you find the guilty party.
    - f) To selectively disable extensions, first re-enable all by reversing step b) above. Close/restart IE.
    Click on Tools>Manage Add-ons. Hi-lite a selection to enable/disable it using the radio buttons at
    the bottom. It likely will contain one or more of the following terms (or similar):
    Dell
    Google
    AFE
    redirector
    assistant
    CBrowserHelperObject
    BAE.dll
    - g) Close/restart IE. Check if your Homepage is still locked.
    - h) When you find the culprit, just leave it disabled.

Yeah googled this and tried it before thanks

disabled the enable third party extensions and no joy. Then tried the extensions that were running and disabled them all, dell was not there

Changed the web url in internet options but still defaulting back to dell homepage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yep using zone alarm pro and nod 32 and ad watch

I use firefox and no problem there but I cannot change the homepage from Dell to say google etc??

Maybe one of these apps has locked the homepage in IE?

• Advertisement

Dont think any of the programs have locked the homepage

Anyway of deleting IE7 and then reinstalling it without any of the dell crap!!

ta

Advertisement