Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaelogical digs for Joe public

Options
  • 03-03-2007 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I really want to get into archaelogy in a big way and go out to excavations and things. I have no previous experience, how do I go about this? do you take oridinary people along? I want to dig till my knees hurt :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

If you check the "archaeological links" sticky at the top of the page you'll find websites with links to lots of archaeological companies. All you need to get a job is a safepass card, which you need to do a one day course for. Most of the larger companies would regularly hire people with no archaeological experience as general operatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thanks, I tried caling Irish Archaeological Institution, got answering machine, left message, havent heard back yet, ho hum. About as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest if you ask me. I cant understand it, I thought people'd be screaming out for help, with all these new roads and other developments and what not. If Anyone out there is reading this and knows of anything at all, I would welcome links, or a direction to look. My googling isnt coming up with much :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Don't think the IAI would be able to help you out much, just get in touch with CRDS or VJK. Get your Safe Pass and then they'll talk to you. And don;t be disillusioned, more than likely you'll be digging and digging and no one will really explain to you what's going on (don't expect archaeology lessons, it's not particularly glamourous), it's a bit like labouring on a building site. You probably won't advance too much up the staff ladder without qualifications. And, you will be working on rescue excavations such as road schemes- Reserach digs, such as with Universities, would only emply people with a degree or higher depending on what they're up to.

Give the big companies a call, if you have the safe pass (FAS centres run them AFAIK), they'll probably be able to hook you up with something. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Boreds: ACS are crying out for diggers at the moment for a 7 week contract, if you are happy to dig on the M3 project: twice the average pay was advertised last week in the sunday independent and they need people immediately. They're desperate and at least the cash would be good for you compared to what is the normal going rate!

I'll definately look into it. I'll try find contact details, or does anyone want to post them?

edit: cool, found the website. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

pog it wrote:
    Boreds: ACS are crying out for diggers at the moment for a 7 week contract, if you are happy to dig on the M3 project: twice the average pay was advertised last week in the sunday independent and they need people immediately. They're desperate and at least the cash would be good for you compared to what is the normal going rate!

They are all filled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

pog it wrote:

wow what an advert for the NRA quality archaelogy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

One of my co-worker's actually gone on a huge dig at the moment.. I can find out more for you if you like.

Call the OPW (Office of Public Works), they're a public owned department aren't they? They should tell you where the current digs are going on and who's leading them.

Advertisement