Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-ticking

Options
  • 02-03-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum.
    As you all know, on the internet, you have to tick boxes sometimes (by clicking or pressing spacebar). I basically have to tick about 300 boxes on one page. Is there any way I can tick several boxes at once? (I've tried highlighting, then pressing space etc. but it not working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

*Bump*
    I would really appreciate an answer on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you use Firefox, I'm sure you could use something like GreaseMonkey to write a script to automatically set all selected boxes to checked(true) or something similar.

If you use Firefox, I'm sure you could use something like GreaseMonkey to write a script to automatically set all selected boxes to checked(true) or something similar.
    I don't use Firefox, and I don't know what Greasemonkey is, but basically that's what I want.
    Is it hard to get it to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

GreaseMonkey is a Firefox plug in that allows you to write small Javascripts that change the way a site looks and acts, so you will need to know Javascript and some DOM stuff to be able to get it to work properly.

Ah, ok then that's not for me. I was hoping that there was some way to highlight, then press ctrl-space (or something), and voila. Guess not:(

Thanks very much for replying though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum.
    As you all know, on the internet, you have to tick boxes sometimes (by clicking or pressing spacebar). I basically have to tick about 300 boxes on one page. Is there any way I can tick several boxes at once? (I've tried highlighting, then pressing space etc. but it not working.

What mad site has 300 check boxes on one page?

I have to send an e-mail off a list. The page gives the names, not the addresses, and you can either send it to all, or send it thos who you tick off. There are six people who can't be allowed get this e-mail, so I have to tick all the boxes manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Isn't there some way you can get that data into another format and process it that way - say using a script or something?
    Otherwise have you tried using the tab key to navigate?

I can't script (bad at computers), and when I tried to tab it didn't work (the focus moved from box to box, but the same box kept getting ticked and unticked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Tabbing and pressing space should work, then it would be possible to have a macro tab and space it's way through the page and once it's done you can untick the remaining few names.

Try the page in Internet Explorer, FireFox and Opera. See if tab+spacing works.

{EDIT}
    Can you tab+space on this page?

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmmm. Tab + space works now, but it didn't earlier. This will make thinks much faster. Thanks.

what's a macro tab and space?

Something like this. Should allow you to record and replay button presses.

Let me find a decent one for you.

Here are a few.

If you download the top one, you can get a trial of it for 30 macros. (Not sure if that is save files, or runs, but it will give you an idea of macros.)

Download and install it. Then start it up.
    Click the "New" button.
    Press Tab, Press Space.
    Then name the file and save it.
    Now, in the little options at the bottom, click "repeat" and go 300 times.
    Open up your page.
    Run the macro.
    Flick back to your page, and click on the first checkbox.
    Bob's your uncle, sit back and make a cup of tea, it will be all filled out by the time you return.

(This is assuming that tabbing and hitting space will take you through all the boxes. Be careful that you don't go one to many and end up submitting at the end!)

That worked perfectly thank you so much. That was what I was looking for (even if I didn't know it :))
    Thanks to everyone who replied as well.

/Sends buckets of karma to everyone especially to SmellyIrishman

:D You're welcome Mr.Minister,
    Glad to be of service.

Advertisement