Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th Year Mechs

Options
  • 02-03-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if there were any fourth year Mechanical engineers on here. I'm third year myself, and the course direction 'decision' has to be made in rag week (Wk5). Preferbly, just want to PM a few questions to a person who has done the solids stream and somebody who has done the fluids stream? I really havent got a clue which one to pick. Im average at both.

I know people wiill say 'talk to your supervisor' which i will do, however i just want to get a students prospective aswell.

Any help appreciated

TIA
    Claasman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

PM plassey minstrel, he's 4 MECH, not sure if he's on the board very often though.

It would be better to keep the question out on the board to help out other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Moonbaby wrote:
    It would be better to keep the question out on the board to help out other people.

Yeah, there are a load of other peole in my position, so its probably best to do that...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Finish Meched bout a year now - I did the fluids stream. I think it has been slightly changed last year; with Ajit's CAE subject dumped (handiest class ever).

Solids you must do 3D Cad using ProE and Solids 3 & 4 and both streams do FPC with Hassan.In the fluids you do Thermo 3 + CFD and unsure as i said about CAE so it may be just Boundary layer.

Solid Stream

Solids is with Ted Little and Walter Stanley im sure you have heard the horror stories about Ted failing perople all over the shop - well its true im afraid. You dont work hard he will kill you, as no doubt you are finding out this year. ProE is a not final exam subject and as you saw from (PTC or ProE) in second year it takes up a lot of time but if you put the work in then you will expect an A1 or A2 for your troubles, but remember there is a lot of work in this so you probbaly will be pulling late nights and weekends in the AMO lab.

Thermo Stream

Thermo 3 is with Pat Frawley but when i was doing his class it was taught by the TA and another lecturer , can't rememebr his name. You put the effort in and he will mark very very sweetly. CFD is a bit of a ball breaker but if you go to the classes and the labs then its handy enough.

In my opinion solids is the harder route - fluids is less intensive for the amount of work you have to do. But it is all down to how you think you will do in Ted's class. The man is a genius and pretty sound 1 to 1 but ruthless when it comes to work not being done so beware.

Side Note:
    FPC with Hassan is a great subject its just a pity that if you have Robin Howard Hildege for Control 2 + 3 before hand that it will make it very difficult to appreciate the subject as you have so much catching up to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'm a 4th year Mech, so feel free to ask any questions. I'm doing the solids stream.

• Advertisement

In fairness, i was for doing solids until i read this, see i would be only really an average student, i find Ted OK at the moment, come week 10 though, id say i will have a diff opinion of him. Whats solids3 like?

So i went with solids

(runs to library)

Hopeflly i will be able to cope:o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

You'll be fine just keep plucking away at it ;)

Advertisement