Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access website

Options
  • 01-03-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I regularly access an ice-hockey website from my laptop. Yesterday I tried to log on and I couldn't. I thought it was the network but I could log on fine to any other sites. I thought it was the site but I could access it fine from another computer just not from my laptop using either Explorer or Mozilla.

I've had this happen before on another computer where it just stopped allowing me access to one particular site, hotmail in that situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

maybe the website is down?
    try this:

goto start->run->cmd

A window will appear

type ping and then the name of the website

wait until it finishes the command

look at the total packets received.

it'll tell you if its online or not

also give the link and we'll check it to see if its down

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

When I type ping the black window very briefly flashes up and disappears so I can't tell you how many packets.

Site is www.kingdomofthegiants.com

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

strangely the site is up and running...

how about try disable your firewall(if any)and try the site in internet explorer.

If that doesn't work then goto atunnel.com and type in the address in the box

Ok disabling the firewall didn't work. I tried the a-tunnel and it accessed the site for a minute before disappearing and a charming message appeared telling me my computer has kept a record of all the adult sites I have visited and in order to save my marriage etc I should install drive cleaner! Is this a joke???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cateym wrote:
    When I type ping the black window very briefly flashes up and disappears so I can't tell you how many packets.

Site is www.kingdomofthegiants.com

Click on the Start Button
    Click on Run
    Type cmd in the box
    Now type ping www.kingdomofthegiants.com
    Site comes up fine for me.

• Advertisement

Ok done that and this is what I got 4 rows of replys and then ping statistics saying 4 packets sent, four received

Now what does that all mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cateym wrote:
    Now what does that all mean???

What that means is you can access the site. :)

It's just that some software on your PC is blocking it. What security software have you installed? (e.g. norton, McAfee, etc.). I would be fairly certain this is where the problem lies.

I have Avast and have had it for over a year. Have been accessing that site too while I've had it installed with no problem before. So what do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Click on Start, then Run, and type in cmd and then click ok.

When the box pops up, type in
    ipconfig /flushdns
    then hit return. Afterwards, type in
    ipconfig /registerdns
    and again, hit return. As you can ping the website, your DNS proberly needs to be refreshed, or something.

Ok have done this and its telling me that any errors will be reported in the event viewer in 15 minutes. Whats the event viewer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What version of Windows do you have? If you don't know, click on Start, then Run, and type in winver and then click ok.

Cateym wrote:
    Ok have done this and its telling me that any errors will be reported in the event viewer in 15 minutes. Whats the event viewer?

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools

Don't worry about it, TBH, I think we should focus on the firewall.

What firewall have you installed?

Also, how do you connect to the internet, e.g. DSL, cable modem, wireless?

I have windows firewall and I have a wireless broadband network connection

I think Avast is the problem. From looking at the Avast website, it has a resident shield that "that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet". Methinks that is your problem.

Disable this and the network shield and see how we get on.

I'm really not keen on the idea of disabling my virus protection. I can access the site still through atunnel but still can't log on as normal. Really getting on my nerves.I don't want to have to log onto atunnel every time I want to view the site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Attack me if I am wrong but once you can access the site with the anti-virus disabled you can enable the anti-virus again as Avast will not block it anymore!

Attack me if I am wrong but once you can access the site with the anti-virus disabled you can enable the anti-virus again as Avast will not block it anymore!

How do I disable my antivirus?

Cateym wrote:
    I'm really not keen on the idea of disabling my virus protection. I can access the site still through atunnel but still can't log on as normal. Really getting on my nerves.I don't want to have to log onto atunnel every time I want to view the site.

I didn't ask you to disable the anti-virus, I asked you to disable the resident shield and the network shield. These are just components within Avast. Anyway, you still have the Windows firewall protecting you, and you most likely have a hardware firewall on your broadband connection. So you will be fine.

I haven't the faintest idea how to do this, load up the application and fiddle around with it. Or, crazy idea this, read the help files that come with it. :D

If this doesn't work, go ahead and do what Keano said - disable avast completely. You will be fine for an while for the reasons I outlined above.

Advertisement