Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"UTV Live at Six is the UK's Number One!"

Options
  • 01-03-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

According to http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=80432&pt=n UTV live at Six is the most popular regional news programme in the UK. I actually think this statement is misleading as they probably have the biggest audience share of any other region, but I have this question. Why?

They're not bad, really, but I think BBC Newsline is better - less tabloidy. I still wonder why UTV are so popular especially when BBC NI invest more in local programming.

Hmm, maybe that last statement answers my question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It could just be the most popular independant regional news programme in the UK, i.e. excluding the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

UTV have always been light years ahead of the BBC in the main evening local news, more so since Inside Ulster was dropped and Newsline appeared (and the shift in time from 5:35 to 6:30)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

God help us all.........has anyone actually watched it?.........the weather watchers.........cringe....it's showband TV!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

God help us all.........has anyone actually watched it?.........the weather watchers.........cringe....it's showband TV!! :o

It is very twee, isn't it? "We'll be down your weather watching way tomorrow..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think it's ITV regulations for the regional news to be twee, naff, and whatever else. I used to live in Somerset and Westcountry Live was just as crappy. At least UTV actually made some other programs of their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UTV's locally produced programming is stuck in the 1980's.

UTV Live is dreadful a mix of Richard&Judy, Newsline, Nationwide and TV3 Weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

UTV's locally produced programming is stuck in the 1980's.

Maybe so but in the context of the ITV network is that not actually a good thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

UTV Live is dreadful a mix of Richard&Judy, Newsline, Nationwide and TV3 Weather
    If only it was that good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If only it was that good!!

I ment all the bad points of those programmes

e.g.

The 2 annoying presenters with out the good guests
    The baddly produced news items with out the interest value
    And the mad capped weather with out the madness :(

Advertisement