Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Planetside...

Options
  • 01-03-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Even if you never played Planetside, listen up, as this is where SOE makes the biggest **** up in history...

The free play system, "fodderside" is about to end this month (march 24th). This means that one third of the population across all three servers will be gone.

We have asked time after time for a server merge, to keep the fights going with the remaining subscribers after fodderside. This has been met with "I'll bring it up in the next meeting" and "We wont need to merge after a new update", which hinted PvE (planetside is 100% PvP, if it gains PvE elements, then it just wont be planetside).

We have updates that were promised 2 years ago finally being released next week. But with this announcement, SOE decide to increase the monthly payment. Obviously they never heard of supply and demand. We have a dwindling population, and they can somehow increase the price of this game.

prowler_banner.gif

Is SOE applying price increase on monthly subs for their other games too? (Everquest, Vanguard...) It would seem like they want this game to die, but they are releasing updates. There is no logic behind it, thus they are all idiots.
    -=Boycott SOE=-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

yep, they are idiots.

They are hoping that the folks that are playing for free will move to pay accounts when they turn off the free option. Of course that wont happen, it will just kill off any new blood coming into the game while removing a large part of the game population. Shot themselves in both feet at the same time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Ah DarthWraak, welcome to the fold.
    SoE have killed Planetside a long time ago, this is just the final nail in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

After what they did to SWG, nothing this company manages to make a balls of surprises me in the least.

I never did get into PS, although there were plenty of people in my old SWG guild that were very wrapped up in the game.

SOE went off the rails someplace a couple of years back...too much middle-management and penny pinching...throwing huge sums into inital developmenmt, releasing beta products then taking years to patch code and never really catching up, all the while lying to subscribers and basically ruining the play experiences for 100s of thousands of players, many of them on their first foray into online gaming.

Then along came WoW and sealed their fate.
    F*ck SOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

They've bumped up the price of the all-in-one Station Access from $24.99 to $29.99 as well. The price increase for planetside is a surprise, especially considering how rapidly the population has been dwindling over the last year after the hoppla around fodderside had faded.

I still pop into Planetside every now and again; it's still a good, fun (but short-lived) blast of mmofps gaming. It's future is looking pretty bleak though. Hopefully upcoming games like Tabula Rasa or Huxley can offer, what planetside once promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

cspnw2.jpg

More info coming soon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

No, more info now. Talk. :)

Nothing much to say now I'm afraid Heretic. The project has been put on hold indefinitely. http://www.markovforums.com

Well, in other news the new CE is now live on the servers. Looks like everyone was trying it out last night :)

I'll be curious to see how many keep it on after a couple of weeks. I'll probably want about that long to play with it myself, but since I normally have CE certed, I'll probably keep these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

new stuff, can make base assaults near impossible, eg night after they went live, on emerald, vs got forced in to pamba on cysor by both nc and tr... 18 hrs later neither side had managed to remove us, and we started pushing out as more vs came online eventually retaking the cont... a very fun... very pointless battle for the most part, not seen one like it in a long long time

Well, I was on Ceryshen last night, in something of a similar state. TR pushed back to Pinga, came out, took half the cont before combined VS / NC pushed us back again. I think we got to the cluster around the capital about 3 times in 4 or 5 hours.

I found a lot of good fighting. So far the shadow turrets and deployable gun frames seem to be the firm favourites.

• Advertisement

Cerebus turrets are more annoying than anything. I can still mossie farm, but have to pull away for repairs more often. I havent seen any jammer mines being used yet at all! Shadow spits need a nerf imo.

I don't think the shadow spits are that bad, but then I tended to be a bit of a sneaky bastich in the placing of my ordinary ones :D

I also quite like the fact I can deploy more CE now with adv eng certed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Damn I've been away a long time. I don't even know what some of this new tech is now :confused:

Come back on then and we'll show you the new toys :)

2 new kinds of spitfire, one cloaked and one AA
    A big tank trap
    Portable stealth bubble, like the AMS has. I think you can upgrade it with other stuff, but I haven't seen that done yet.
    Able to upgrade base turrets to dual fire mode, one AA, one AV, as well as the standard rounds.

And pics of a sunderer variant with what looks likes 4 top turrets and 2 side turrets.

Drop by the TRA forum, you'll see more detailed info.

the agis sheild, can be charged, and filled with infantry/max ammo using engineers standard gluegun repair packs, takes a while tho.

jammer mines are nasty against vehicals....espeacially bfrs

Heh, more boardsies than I expected still play this. Despite my whining in the original post, I still love this game. I know HairyHeretic from Werner TR, what are ye'er in game names/servers?

DarthWraak -TR Werner
    DarthWraakx - NC Werner
    xDarthWraak - VS Emerald

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lemming - LLOD - Werner TR

Lemmings the one that got me playing PS, many moons ago.

Hairyheretic - LLoD , TR, Werner

I have a VS alt called CaffeinatedWeasel, buts its only BR6. I only use it when none of the TR folks is about.

Mont0r - werner NC
    Mont0r-K - emerald VS

wierd event on emerald the other night... nc attacked the vs sanctuary.... in overpowered ants

wierd event on emerald the other night... nc attacked the vs sanctuary.... in overpowered ants

Yeah, that seems to happen every so often. I've seen it once in the werner TR sanc.

Heard about it once or twice.

• Advertisement

nerf!

A few ex-Delta Triad members started a new outfit on emerald VS last weekend (aeroPhalanx), so I'll be playing over there a whole lot more ;)

Me no like max and plasma spam on Werner, even though I have thumper certed :O

keep an eye on central spike (vs) on emerald, was platooned with em the other night, only outfit ive seen that still makes use of multipul galaxy drops... havent had that much fun in months.

I've heard the Sunderer 2 is now on the live server. Haven't been on to see for myself yet though.

Yeh its up, and its one hell of a laugh. We got a squad on vent and literally charged a base in one. The 30 second emp is crazily overpowered, but hilarious for emping vehicles and battering them, and good for mines.

Get close, EMP a vehicle to jam its weapons then shoot it up while it can't respond?

I like it. :D

I was on for a bit last night, but logged off in under an hour due to lack of a good fight. Most of the TR were ghosting Solsar, some of us went on to Hossein but didn't have the numbers to push out really. I got a bit bored with being stuck in a tower, so went off to work on my Necessary Evil character creation instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Interesting how I stumbled across this thread.

I recently discovered that I am still being billed for my SWG account, yet the account is deleted and I have no way of cancelling the subscription because I need to log into it to cancel.

I have no traces or records of the account information and I'm pretty sure it would be deleted as its nearly two years or more since creation.
    The free trial ran out and they automatically start billing.

They haven't stopped and Visa can't just cut them off they said......

Advertisement