Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead HDD oh no!

Options
  • 01-03-2007 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Ok here's the full story:

At christmas i got a Sata2 400 GB HDD.
    I had my old 80GB HDD setup as slave,but it never worked and today I realised the jumpers were wrong.

After I configured my old HDD to slave it used to detected it as a 2.5GB HDD with no disklabel.
    But today I corrected the jumpers and its detected as 72.4 GB.
    I'm trying to use this HDD as a master on a different machine.

I am unable to install any OS and the only one which will detect it is Ubuntu linux.But,when I partition it and set it all up it gives the error "could not write disklabel" and exits.

what shall I do?

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

I was just thinking there and I got a brilliant idea!

Completely clear the HDD (not a format)clear the disklabel,firmware,Everything!

As far as I know formatting does not clean the disklabel and some more things.

Does anybody have any ideas how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

will anybody hazard a guess?any help is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

"could not write disklabel" <- was that the exact error message in Ubuntu? Google finds absolutely nothing for that which is very unusual for an error message in a popular Linux distro.

Which program were you using for this? Gparted?

What designation does it give the drive? /dev/hda?

Advertisement