Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Failure

Options
  • 01-03-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

until yesterday my usb stick stopped working, as far as i can see it is fine physically but when i plug it in nothing happens, even the led on it doesnt flash, does this mean it is completely dead.

there are some confidential files on it that i wud love to recover somehow

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you got another machine to try it on, or another USB port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭katiepwr

hey ruu

yea i tried it at work and at home but no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭katiepwr

so does anyone know of software or anything that can retrieve my usb files ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the memory stick won't power up then there's no software in the world that can help you I'm afraid, as the computer can't see it.

I've never heard of it being done with flash memory, only hard disks, but there are professional data recovery companies out there. Not cheap mind you and like I said, don't know if any of them support flash memory.

If the memory itself is undamaged then it could be removed from your memory stick and put on a functioning PCB. Unless you have a 2nd identical memory stick and a good working knowledge of PCB rework then it's not something you can do at home.

Advertisement