Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tournament

Options
  • 01-03-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

The IRB will discuss the idea of a world provincial championship when they meet in Auckland early next week.

The proposed competition would include the best sides from the Super 14 and the Heineken Cup who would meet every three years in the November Test window.

The proposal - which attempts to mimic the success of soccer's Champions League - already has supporters in the UK with broadcasters Sky and other pundits claiming that there is a big market for the best teams from around the world meeting for a provincial tournament.

Teams in the Northern Hemisphere are keen to pit themselves against the best the South has to offer and the idea certainly has some merit with interest in the Super 14 seemingly on the wane.

The cluttered rugby schedule could be a major stumbling block for the proposed tournament. The IRB will discuss the proposal next week and decide whether to move planning for the tournament onto the next stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I was only talking about this with a Hurricane sfan the other day, would be animal!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Every three years instead of the AIs would be alright.

It'd be great to see Munster have a pop at the Crusaders at Thomond Pk (as well as all the other mouthwatering potential matchups).

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I don't see how this can work to be honest, especially if it's held every 3 years, at various times it would clash with the world cup and I doubt the NH unions would be too keen on losing the revenue from the Autumn Internationals which they lose out on because of the world cup, why not play it during the window of the SH tours, that way you avoid a possible clash with the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wouldn't every four years (perhaps two years after each world cup) make more sense?

It's a fantastic idea alright. I reckon S14 is overrated and crude compared to HC. Any game I watch always seems to be very attack orientated with not much emphasis on defence.

Can't see the Union's agreeing to it as the AI series is vital to assessing the national teams in a controlled manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Wasn't something like this floated a few years ago, along with competing with South African teams, blah blah..

Great idea, no time on the calender though, less unions are willing to cut back on the international fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good idea, if the fixtures were sorted, and no congestion caused, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

the French would definitely reconsider their plans to opt out of the Heineken cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Munster and/or Leinster -v- Canterbury

Rock and Roll! From a fans POV, they are the things dreams are made of!!

Advertisement