Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Second Hand Van

Options
  • 01-03-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All

I need your advice please.

I am looking into buying a second hand van and have a few questions.

If the van is not currently taxed can i drive it away from the seller to my home without getting it taxed first?

If the van does not have a current NCT can i drive it to my home without getting it Nct'd first (or at least apply for the NCT)?

I don't have any previous insurance in my own name but need to insure my self to drive the van away to my home, how can i best go about this? I could get a friend to drive it if they had open insurance/move their insurance for a day etc?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Officially, you can be done for driving any vehicle without tax, but if the garda is understanding, you shouldn't have a problem driving it to your home.
    If it’s a commercial van it won’t have a NCT, it will be a DOE once a year instead, you need to do this before you can get tax. I would get the current owner to do this first.
    Then there’s the issue of driving a commercial van with a private insurance policy, you might need to talk to your insurance company regarding this, you might need to get commercial insurance.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement