Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spammers not spamming..

Options
  • 01-03-2007 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Strange, I got two emails sent from our "contact us" page on vbulletin, nothing strange there, we get a few spams a day through it saying "nice site, please check out mine" then there would be about 10 links too, but the emails I got this morning just said:

email1: Wonderful pages! Keep up the grat work.t
    email2: Your work is marvelous!!+

I googled the address of both, one a hotmail and one a google address, the google one had 22,000+ results, the hotmail, none.

I looked at a few results for the google and it's obviously a bot because it just compliments sites in every result. Only had a look at one or two, but there was no links or anything, just compliments.

What's the point?

No results for the hotmail address which is strange, unless it was genuine feedback:eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

As far as I know (which is not much!) this is for the potential spammers to check that the address is an active address. They can tell if the mail has been received or whether the address they have sent it to is not in use. They then use this for future spamming purposes.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!!
    Those were my first thoughts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

so the very fact I got it and they didn't get a send error would let them know it's in use or would I have to reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yep. They might also have attached a Read Reciept request, which would return a notification to them when you have read the email (providing your server supports these), which would let them know that its not only a live address, but an active one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

To prevent future spams like that, you could paste your email address into
    a jpeg image so that bots can't scan it for text.

• Advertisement
Advertisement