Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieving about 10 spam e-mails a day..

Options
  • 28-02-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    For the past cpuple of months I have been recieving about 10 spam e-mails a day.. The subject of these e-mails is sexual performance pills and OEM software...
    The sender name is random and the subject is usually along the lines of:
    Did I tell you about last night,why be an average guy any longer..
    and for the software.. OEM Software cheap.. I have to tell you something.

How do I:
    A) Go about removing myself from the senders list (Longshot I know but I may as well ask!)
    B) Filter these in outlook express?The message body are now just one image with all the text in the image and a screenshot of the address bar in IE showing the address to the pages. I presume this is so e-mail clients can't read them to filter them..

Has anyone else been getting these?

Techguy..

P.S. If it's any use I have attatched the msg source aswell...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

theres some free software out there that will filter spam(outlook etc not so good), http://www.spamihilator.com/ I find is good, there might be some other apps listed in the software sticky.

Other thing to do would be to get a new email address, and be careful where you use it, maybe get a yahoomail account for signing up for sites etc and keep a normal account for friends/family etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

don't bother with outlook its crap. GMAIL all the way. best e-mail ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

don't bother with outlook its crap. GMAIL all the way. best e-mail ever.

Nah, e-mail clients are better! webmail can be really annoying..

I have a yahoo a/c set up in outlook but can also access it anywhere else.. And another a/c for signing up boy you should see the thousands of spams in there.. I don't know how this performance enhacing crowd got my primary one tho.. I must look into that software mentioned but I hate installing third party stuff for small problems like that..ya know yourself!

Techguy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

gmail works through an email client too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Gmail does have excellent spam filtering but it really doesn't solve your problem.
    Try googling some of the email addresses, or actually try following some
    of the links. There might be an unsubscribe or report spam section.
    Not all do, but its worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Zapho wrote:
    Gmail does have excellent spam filtering but it really doesn't solve your problem.
    Try googling some of the email addresses, or actually try following some
    of the links. There might be an unsubscribe or report spam section.
    Not all do, but its worth a shot.

if it's spam you never signed up for, sometimes trying to unsubscribe will just confim you're email address is active and is valuable to spammers and can result in more spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Zapho wrote:
    There might be an unsubscribe or report spam section.
    If it does have an unsubscribe option DO NOT use it as these are always used to verify your email is real and you'll end up on even more spam lists.

Best option is to use a spam blocker for outlook, since you're using that. Gmail's spam blocking is also excellent if you don't mind changing your email. It's also got tons of storage (about 2.3Gig these days I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Gmail's antispam is excellent.

I have my gmail account set to download via pop3 from my 'normal' email account and then have Outlook configured to download from gmail, I therefore still use my normal address as I basically use gmail for antispam, plus its handy to login via the web when out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I too use Gmail, quick question though, is it possible to make spam stop arriving in the first place? Cos when i got gmail first, it was great, no spam at all.. Now i'm averaging 20-odd a day, I know it all goes into the spam folder but just really pisses me off whenever i log in and see them all... I presume not though..

On an aside, what's the benefit of having outlook etc. running gmail as opposed to just logging onto the net? I've never used outlook, just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you administer your own mail server, you can configure it to SMTP 5XX reject anything you don't want (typically done with the help of publicly-available IP blocklists maintained by various antispam organisations).

Some email service providers offer accounts with this protection (eg. SpamBlocked - see 'SpamBlocked.com Email only' link at the end)

If I recall correctly, if you use Gmail POP3, the contents of the Spam folder are not downloaded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement