Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda6 1.8 or Passat 1.6

Options
  • 28-02-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Have a budget of around 27k and am looking at both of these.

Any comments/suggestions on other cars?

Would a 1.6 Passat be as slow as Christmas considering the weight of it, and how would it compare to a base model 1.9tdi?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lets see, the Pro's of each:

Mazda:
    More power
    Better looking
    More reliable
    Less common

VW:
    Cheaper road tax
    Slightly cheaper insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

1.6 Passat will be slow, no question. Its a huge car, and needs an appropriate engine to pull it. Then again, it depends what you want... it will be adequate if you are a relaxed, no-hurry driver, not too concerned with power.

1.9TDI much better, though ideally the 2,0TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

For god's sake take them both for a test drive!!!!!!!!!!!
    The passat will be slower, but that might not bother you. FSI option is slightly quicker, but still will not match the mazda. It might not be too far off a 110bhp tdi. I didn't like the new TDI as it seemed really easy to stall.
    have a 1.8t and stalled it for the first time yesterday after 3 months.

See which interior you can live with, how it feels, smell etc.
    Don't spend big buckaroos without being sure what you are getting is for you, and driving is the only way to find it out.
    Am not convinced the mazda is more reliable, but I have no data either way.

Best of luck and enjoy.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Mondeo completely ruled out?
    As you probably know they are changing it so any remaining curent models are reduced and come complete with large amounts of gadgets and gizmos

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I've driven the 6 a few times and again this morning (the Exec model) and have always been impressed with it. When it first came out, I thought it was stunning, but now Ive gotten used to it, its just a nice car.

Haven't driven the new Passat at all, hope to do so tomorrow or Friday.

Not really interested in the Mondeo — Im sure when I go to sell the 'end of line' model in three or four years time, it'll be worth half-nothing. And the new model seems as if it will be very expensive for a very basic spec.

Residual value is also important to me, that why I'm swaying towards the 6, just wanted opinions/input from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends what you want from a car really.

Mazda 6:
    Was looking at the Mazda 6 recently myself. Lovely car to drive being based on the Ford Mondeo platform, performance wise the 1.8 litre engine is average for the class of car. I found some of the plastics of the interior are a bit cheap looking but that is really knit picking really and the build quality is very good. They are also very well equipped especially compared to the Passat. Try and go for a Sport Touring model as it will have cruise control, climate control, 16" alloy wheels, traction control, electric windows all round, sports suspension and electric sunroof. They also come with a 3 year warranty and Mazdas are known for their reliability. Downsides are if you are buying new is that the depreciation on the 6 is above the norm for this class car, they are looking a bit dated now especially the interior and a new model is due in less than 12 months.

VW Passat:
    My uncle bought one of these about just over a month ago. It is a 1.6 FSi Comfortline in met black. Cost him €28k afaik but didn't even come with alloy wheels or steering wheel stereo controls. The Comfortline has electric windows all round, Comfortline seats, climate control, chrome trim, electric driver's seat and an electric handbrake (which is known to give trouble). I drove the car for the first time yesterday and to be honest I hope it loosens up a little due to being new as I found it to be sluggish and wanting. Would not feel comfortable having to overtake anything in a hurry to be honest. His one has also been back to the dealer already the week before last for a false ECU error code appearing. It is a known problem with the current Passat and VW seem to be no closer to resolving it other than resetting the ECU at the dealer. The interior fit and finish is quite good and solid but again some small things looked a bit cheapish especially around the inside of the doors. Not sure about resale value of the 1.6 Passat as usually it is the diesel models that retain their value the best.

Regarding running costs of both cars, I would say there is very little in the difference. About €90 for road tax but the mpg will probably be similar as the Mazda 1.8 litre has less work to do to pull the body of the car unlike the Passat. I would image though that in Ireland a 1.6 litre petrol will always sell quicker than a 1.8 litre petrol car. Alot of people have a false perception that there is a huge difference in running costs between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

prospect, I wouldn't say the Mazda is less common.

Mazda 6 is being replaced soon so if you are worried about selling a previous model in a few years, it will affect you if you get the Mazda.

The new Passat is having teething problems so if reliabilty is what you are after, then this is not for you at the moment.

Avensis is prob safest bet, but not the most thrilling to drive.

Subaru Legacy is a nice alternative

gatecrash wrote:
    Mondeo completely ruled out?
    As you probably know they are changing it so any remaining curent models are reduced and come complete with large amounts of gadgets and gizmos

Yes but only a crazy person would buy a brand new one especially with new model almost on us. The depreciation on them would make you cry. If the OP was buying 05 or 06 they would be a good bargin but not as a new buy.

If buying new then wait for the new model in May or June.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I wasn't aware there was a new 6 due so soon ... will it be a complete overhaul or just another facelift? Presumably if it's a totally new car, the resale value of the current 6 would fall through the floor??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mazda every time.

• Advertisement

soundbyte wrote:
    I wasn't aware there was a new 6 due so soon ... will it be a complete overhaul or just another facelift? Presumably if it's a totally new car, the resale value of the current 6 would fall through the floor??

The 6 is getting a complete overhall probably late this year or early 2008. The current 6 has been around since 2002 and got a mild facelift in 2005.

In fairness when a new model comes out of any car the resale value of the older model always takes a dive due to the fact that dealer forecourts become full of the old models from people who traded up.

Advertisement