Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Recovery

Options
  • 28-02-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm new to the whole area of Camper vans and motorhomes but am in the process of buying one. As you can imgine, I have many questions and much to learn so hopefully, this forum will be an invaluable tool for me.....many thanks in advance

Two questions spring to mind:
    1. The gas bottles on the camper van that I am looking at are a brown/grey colour. I am reliably informed that these are the bottles that were on the camper when it was imported from Germany. Can these bottles be refilled or do you just get new bottles? If they can be refilled, does anybody know of anywhere in the Gorey/Arklow area that refill them?

2. Vehicle recovery.......does anybody know of any group that offer vehicle recovery from UK or Europe main land in the event of major mechanical malfunction or damage. The insurance companies seem to offer 1hr roadside assistance and a tow to a garage within 50km. The AA will not recover vehicle to Ireland because it is greater than 5.5m.....anybody got any advice (apart from keep it between the ditches :D )

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The grey gas cylinders are to German standards and either of 5 kg or 11 kg capacity. They have the same valves as large Calor Gas (and some other brands) cylinders. I get mine refilled at the local Calor depot. They take the bottle away to their refill place and bring it back a week later ...no probs.

If your compartment is big enough for Calor (or other) cylinders, you could prabably also use those and the just swap cylinders instead of waiting for the refill. In my case, the large "collar" on the Calor cylinders makes it impossible to fit those into the compartment.

Vehicle recovery ...no idea (my yoke is so old, I basically have to run it my own risk anyway:D )

The infrastructure for motorhomes (as in dealers and garages) is much better on the continent anyway, especially in motorhome saturated countries like France, Italy and Germany. In case of breakdown or damage you would probably get quicker (and better) help there anyway without carting the broken-down yoke back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

You can get a travel insurance policy from Jardine Lloyd Thompson Ireland which provides continental breakdown cover (including vehicle repatriation). It is a Europ Assistance policy which also covers personal travel insurance worldwide - all for 100 euro for a couple for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cheers Guys

Many thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

corkbuoy wrote:
    You can get a travel insurance policy from Jardine Lloyd Thompson Ireland which provides continental breakdown cover (including vehicle repatriation). It is a Europ Assistance policy which also covers personal travel insurance worldwide - all for 100 euro for a couple for 12 months.

This policy covers vehicles up to 3500 Kg only. Does anybody know how to get breakdown cover for a 1993 Chevy RV that weighs over 5000Kg that I want to take to France this summer ?

Hi

I sent the above named company and e-mail requesting info on 1st March about vehicle recovery and not getting any reply, gave them a ring on the 5th of March. Was told that the person that was dealing with it was out sick. Still havnt got a reply. I resent the e-mail this morning. If I get any worth while info back, I will stick it up here
    I have to say that I am not impressed so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Malta 1

If you are insured through Stuarts, they include Vehicle Recovery in the deal but only up to a 3500Kg (3.5 Ton) limit. Their may also be an age limit restriction but you can check by phoning them on (01) 2881779. They are however also slow / poor to follow up on admin or return your calls.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Cheers for that Chevy RV
    I am not insured with anybody yet, but based on your info, I will give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Hi Malta 1
    They have a Cork office also on 021 427 7370

Advertisement