Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Ram Error

Options
  • 28-02-2007 3:35pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

COMPAQ Presario a few years old now but always worked pretty well so I decided to purchase more ram for it. I got 2X256mb and they worked fine when I first put them in but I was browsing the web and then screen flashed blue and the pc kept rebooting itself.

These are the errors I get at startup now if I try the 2 at one time.
    02191312 08 201-memory error.
    164-memory size error.

I have one of the new 256mb working away now but would like to add a second but I am getting frustrated.

I have tried each of the new memory modules on there own and they work fine!

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Could be RAM incompatibility often overlooked is that boards support specific types of RAM if they are single sided or dual sided.

Just as an example if the modules have chips on both sides and the board works fine with one module it could it only support double sided DIMM's in one slot not both. Other reasons are buggy bios not tolerant of certain RAM types & so forth.

The only reason course of action you have at the moment is to attempt to update the bios and hope it resolves the issue of both DIMM's present.

If the option was present but I highly doubt it is in a Compaq bios to adjust the timings of the RAM & increase them.

Failing all of the above the best way to get compatible memory for old systems like that is to get it from Crucial & use their memory advisor tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, try updating the BIOS - if there are updates they will be on the HP (or Compaq - it doesn't matter as they go to the same place) website. You'll probably need a blank floppy to do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?
    A: No.
    Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

I got this from crucial and if I had looked before I bought the memory would have been good but as I said earlier they work when put in individually.

I am totally stumped now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not much you can do then other than return the RAM if at all possible.

Advertisement