Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

generic volume cannot be stopped

Options
  • 28-02-2007 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

does ayone know why the message

"generic volume cannot be stopped"
    comes up when I try to eject my external hard disk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It could be caused if the Recycle Bin is enabled for the drive, you can turn that off in the Recycle Bin properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I find sometimes I can't disconnect at all even though all files and windows to do with it are closed. I think sometimes windows doesn't release the file from memory properly or something.

When you have a drive like that though, digital camera....whatever, do you really need to unmount when your sure theres no read/write operations going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

this often comes up when i try to eject my external hard drive, when i eject a second time though it usually works fine so i'm not bothered.

does it happen everytime with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

it actually does

I tried the recycle bin idea proposed by RUU

I has worked perfectly

I googled it, and it came up with the same answer as RUU's answer

Advertisement