Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Provider

Options
  • 28-02-2007 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

I've been using hotmail plus for a while now, and I've been happy with it, using outlook express to send and receive email. However, I recently upgraded to windows vista, and the new program, Windows mail doesn't seem to support hotmail. (Strange, seeing as they're both microsoft).
    So, I've decided to get a new email address. I don't know the first thing about pop3, IMAP etc, so I want to know, what is the best email provider out there, where I can send and recieve email from Windows mail, that has a decent amount of space, is reliable and has an easy to remember domain?
    I don't mind paying a small amount for it. ie. €20 a year or less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Most hosting solutions will offer you some kind of email provision, how many addresses you'll get depends on the provider.

Of course, GMail can be used from a client just as well as online. You just have to enable the POP3 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

If you need a gmail invite, pm me your email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You don't need invites for gmail anymore afaik.

Gmail stopped the invite system a couple of weeks ago. Shortly after the world and its dog had amassed enough to send them out to entire populations of planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does pop3 on gmail enable me to send as well as receive email messages from windows mail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah you should be able to send and receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you don't mind abandoning Outlook Express/Windows Mail, Thunderbird (from the makers of Firefox) with the WebMail extension can handle Hotmail, Yahoo and a number of other web-based email services.

Well, I tried gmail, and it seems every possible permutation of my name has been taken.
    Also, they don't seem to be offering @gmail.com addresses any more, only @googlemail.com, which is a bit long and awkward.

GoogleMail is used in places where there is some copyright strife over the original GMail name, like in Britain.

Right, that makes sense.
    Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement