Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

optical out question

Options
  • 28-02-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

i have a question surrounding using the optical out on my pc. it is integrated on the motherboard,

i believe the sound chipset is realtek high definition audio.

my question is that as the decoding of the optical signal is being done on the amplifier would there be an increase in sound quality if i bought a new sound card and used the optical out on that ? or would it just remain the same ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

While SPDIF bypasses problems inherrent in the analogue domain, you have to consider what your sound card, driver, and mixer does to the audio data before sending it over SPDIF. Many designs are based on resampling all audio data to 48kHz for processing (volume control, equalisation, effects, etc). The Creative Labs Live! series was known to resample even audio data already at 48kHz. The quality of resampling has a direct impact on overall audio quality and can range from bad to excellent, depending on model.

If you're looking for bit-perfect PCM output on SPDIF, some designs can deliver that (eg. cards based on the C-Media 8738). In Windows I believe you need to use a driver that handles kernel streaming and bypasses Kmixer to achieve this. A common test for bit-perfect is to play DTS encoded wave file over your SPDIF link and check if your external decoder sees the stream.
    Lots more on Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=bit-perfect+spdif
    Some discussion of Realtek HD, bit-perfect, and link to a DTS file here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=567562&page=10&pp=30

Advertisement