Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB key not working - help!

Options
  • 27-02-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭

So my USB key doesn't seem to work anymore, whenever i plug it into a computer it loads grand but when i double click on the e-drive (or whatever) this message pops up:
    The disk in drive E is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?

is it banjaxed? It did get dropped like 2 weeks ago or more, but was working grand up till friday, but when i tried to get at it today in college no luck... Doesn't seem to be a problem with computer, as i said i tried it in college and at home too... There's a few bits and pieces on it I would like to get a hold of, possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There are apps specifically designed for getting data off of flash/usb memory devices... I think badcopypro does, but it's been a long time since I tried it... filescavenger is another one you could try, which is free afaicr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

had that problem before. Don't remember how I fixed it but... I did (It might have been needed a reformat).

As for recovering the contents, you should be able to use any hard disk recovery tools (in windows).

USB sticks/keys are built to take a knock or three, so don't worry about having dropped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

sometimes any kind of removable disk can lose its formatting, I've had floppy disks that lost their format, were reformatted and then worked fine after.

Problem is the last time this happened toa flash drive, it reformatted but eventually died.

The system complaining that something isn't formatted is often a warning sign that the hardware is banjaxed or is about to become it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a usb key with the same problem, No ammount of formatting will get mine to work again, hopefully you will be lucky.

Advertisement