Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend tv as pc monitor or tv card for pc?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything relevant in a search. I'm going to be using my pc a lot for work but I would also like to have a tv in the same room. So I was thinking of buying an lcd tv which I could use as the monitor for my pc. Would this make sense and if so what is the largest size tv I should consider before I'd run in to resolution issues? Or would I be better off getting a decent (maybe 19") flat screen monitor and putting a tv card into my pc? Or is there another even better alternative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Most LCD HDTV's have a resolution of 1366x768 the more expensive models in the 40"+ range have a resolution of 1920x1080.

There isn't any problem using it as a monitor though are two potential issues;

* 1:1 Pixel mapping because the native resolution of 1366x768 is not a computer resolution you are forced to use 1360x768 this can cause some blurring effects on text it tends to vary in that it bothers some and doesn't bother others. It is possible to force the native resolution of 1366x768 but this must be done over DVI or HDMI if present on the TV (cannot over VGA).

* Viewing angels aren't so great with LCD's you would generally want to be in front of the display & distance is of course also a factor you don't want to be straining your eyes from a couch trying to read the text on screen.

Advertisement