Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War remnants museum Dublin?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I've just been to the war remnants museum in Ho chi Minh city, Vietnam. In case you haven't heard they have an extensive display illustrating the brutality and cruelty emparted on the Vietnamese people by the US, French and South Vietnamese regime. It acts as a powerful anti-war tool and shows the grim facts and outcomes of war and empirialism for what they are. It provides a surprisingly balanced view, praising humane US soilders and highlighting the international peace ralleys held in protest to the attack. It lies in sharp contrast to the blatent lies of revisionist imperialists who would have you believe that the Vietnamese war was to protect the Vietnamese people from communism.
    I think that we should have a similar museum in Dublin to highlight the attrocities incurred on Irish people by the brutal, bloody Dublin castle regime which modern Irish revisionists would have you think was much more benign that it actually was. Like the museum in Saigon it should praise the efforts of ordinary British people who did not agree with the governments assaults on Ireland's right to self determination.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I think that the idea of a "war remnants museum" is a bit odd. We already have very many fine museums in Ireland, many of which cover the British rule of Ireland. I see no point in it, particularly given sensitivities in Northern Ireland.
    geekGirl wrote:
    I think that we should have a similar museum in Dublin to highlight the attrocities incurred on Irish people by the brutal, bloody Dublin castle regime which modern Irish revisionists would have you think was much more benign that it actually was.
    Well, very few members of the population of the Republic of Ireland have experienced British rule, so arguments of this nature usually prove futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

would you also include the attrocities at Omagh, Enniskillen, Warringon, Birmingham......

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

i'm not sure what to think about this but to be fair the bombings listed were carried out by different organisations to the original IRA. I guess a museum devoted to the irish struggle for independance would help to clear up misconceptions like that but given the current situation in the north it probably isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Isnt there a section in the national museum in kildare street, while its small it is quite good.
    And we have kilmainham gaol which I think is excellent.

Advertisement