Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as this?

Options
  • 26-02-2007 11:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    hope this is in the right forum. I'm looking to find out if there is any way of connecting up an internal hard drive externally (!) through USB.
    The OS hard drive died on my old PC, but the second hard drive which holds all my docs pics, etc., should be Ok. This drvie doesnt have windows installed on it though.

Is it possible to get a device that I can plug into it and connect up to me brand spanking new PC so that I can retrieve my files? Searching for terms like external hard drive USB , etc brings back the wrong type of device, so I wonderi s there a specific name for such a device (assuming it exists).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah this is what you are looking for? I am presuming your internal hard drive is IDE. They are called enclosures, anything to fit your 3.5" hard drive works, you can get them for SATA drives also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ruu, helpful as ever! Thats the very thing thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Depending on the motherboard you mightn't need an enclosure. If your motherboard has a slot for the interface on your old drive (which it should, I'm presuming you have an IDE drive and even though SATA is favoured these days the mbd should still have an IDE interface) you can temporarily plug the old drive into the new PC (or permanently if you have no other plans for it).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The new PV is very new so I dont want to open it up until I'm 100% sure everything is OK in case I want to bring it back! thanks anyway.

Advertisement