Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hard Drive

Options
  • 26-02-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a PC that has been giving weird intermittant errors. After a scan I discovered there are several bad sectors on the Hard Drive. So I got a new one, and it is sitting here beside me.
    So, can someone help me with gettin gthe information from the original to the new one.
    Is it simply a case of installing the new HDD as the secondary drive and copy/paste all the info onto it and remove the original drive. Or do I need some special hardware/software.

Cheers.

P.S. - Computer is a Intel XP Pro machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pretty much, just set the new drive as the slave drive (use the jumper settings on the rear of the drive to do that).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

So,

I just go to the root directory in windows explorer, select the whole lot and choose copy and then paste to the new drive?

Or do i need to do it VIA DOS? What about hidden files and folders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are you talking about moving the Windows folder over as well? If so I think it will alot of hassle to do so. Better to install Windows on the new drive first.

Anyway, the drive should show up alongside C: in My Computer and just simply drag and drop whatever you want over to the new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What I was essentially hoping to do is, to just creat a mirror of the original drive, then boot from the new one?

Advertisement