Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saab 9-5

Options
  • 26-02-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

a relative of mine is thinking about buying a Saab 9-5 estate with 115k miles. it's 2.3T hot. or something like that. it automatic as well. is this a risky proposition? it is a good price and i believe they are a fine car in general.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote:
    is this a risky proposition?

Depends. The 9-5 is based on the Opel Vectra, so it's not a Saab as Saabs used to be. It still has a lot to offer - think space, luxury, safety, toys, power, value for money

The "HOT" model has more power than Saab engineers famously quoted as the maximum power a front wheel driven car can deal with :D

Is it the pre-face lift model? In that case it has only 4 gears which won't help petrol consumption

What year and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

unkel.
    it's a '99 with 133k on the clock. it appears to be well minded. €6,500. electric blue.

said relative does very little mileage. i don't know if the turbo has been replaced.

do you reckon it would be impossible to sell or worthless if it got up to 150k by the time it was time to move it on?

it looks fantastic.

cantdecide wrote:
    it's a '99 with 133k on the clock. it appears to be well minded. €6,500

Tempting, very tempting :)

If I was buying that car I wouldn't really expect much money back for it in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Well...errh...actually, the 9-5 is not based on an Opel Vectra, thats the 9-3. The 9-5 is based on the old Saab 9000, which uses the same platform as an Alfa 164, Lancia Thema and the old Fiat Croma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cosmo K wrote:
    Well...errh...actually, the 9-5 is not based on an Opel Vectra, thats the 9-3. The 9-5 is based on the old Saab 9000, which uses the same platform as an Alfa 164, Lancia Thema and the old Fiat Croma.
    The 9-5 and 9-3 are both based on the Vectra. Loosely tho, they're not an exact rip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

JHMEG wrote:
    The 9-5 and 9-3 are both based on the Vectra. Loosely tho, they're not an exact rip.

Next thing ye'll be telling me an Audi A3 and a VW golf are really only Skoda Octavias! :p:p:p

Cosmo K wrote:
    Well...errh...actually, the 9-5 is not based on an Opel Vectra

Well...errh...actually, it is ;)

Both 9-3 and 9-5 (and several other cars including the Opel Calibra and the last Saab 900) are based on the GM2900 platform, which is the same as the 1989 Vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The auto boxes in Saabs are not the most sturdy ones. Especially in combination with the full blown turbo of the "hot" or "Aero" version, because these yokes have MASSIVE torque.

On the other hand that's what makes them so fun to drive.

Get a mechanic to have a good look at it before commiting.

Resale value of ony old Saab (except for the 900 "classic") is zilch, slightly better for estates though.

But, having said all that ...for that price I'd be tempted myself (if only I could justify running a 2.3 liter)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

which is the same as the 1989 Vectra

OMG...the 80's are back;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I was recently looking for a 99-00 9-5 or 9-3 for my wife (Ended up with a New Beetle in the end, but I digress)

They are a really nice car, contrary to what is above I have found the auto box to be VERY tough. One of the cars I tested had 155K on the clock and drove great. Search boards for a recent thread on testing autoboxes if you need some pointers. The turbos are generally very reliable, even in the high pressure engines. Regualr oil changes are crucial though.........

The main issue, espcially with the 2.3's is sludge. Saab reccomended semi synth oil changes at 10K, however in real life you need to be doing changes at 6K with fully synth. The sludge leads to oil starvation and ultimatley engine failure. There is a recall programme (at least in the US there is!) but you can only avail of it if you change the oil accoring to Saab's reccomendations and have ALL receipts for it. Its you call, but if you even suspect the oil hasnt been changed regularly, walk away. Regardless of that, personally I would drop the sump after purchasing the car and examine\clean it as well as the oil strainer.

IMO any of these cars you are looking at should have documented oil changes at regular intervals. Inspect the oil on the dipstick and of course under the filler cap for its general condition.

Things to look out for:

1. Sludge
    2. Condition of PCV pipes (related to sludge)
    3. Head gaskets
    4. Electrics and internal LCD displays
    5. Rear shock leakage
    6. General turbo stuff, heavy smoke form exhaust, loud whirring noises when spooling etc.

More 9-5 info can be found here, have a search for PCV while you are there:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, my brother loves his his Saab's, and bought a 100K+ mile 9-5 turbo last year, full leather, climate, automatic............for relative peanuts. I had it for 2 weeks, it was very, very impressive - couldn't fault it, really.

Car was/is, a bargain - better value than my 01 E200K, though......and it isn't possible for it to lose as much in value, either........

If it's sound, yes they like their oil changes, but not any more likely to let you down than anything else out there........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

timing chains are a pain

old boy wrote:
    timing chains are a pain

Pain as in? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..pain as in hard to do............good job they only have to be done at a fraction of the timing belts of other cars..........I guess........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

old boy wrote:
    timing chains are a pain

Timing chains are a blessing. No regular and expensive belt changes every 50k kilometers (or whatever), no nasty and expensive engine damage out of the blue. You can hear when the chain is finally on the way out. After what, 200k or 300k kilometers?

Why do you reckon they're a pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Timing chains are a blessing. No regular and expensive belt changes every 50k kilometers (or whatever), no nasty and expensive engine damage out of the blue. You can hear when the chain is finally on the way out. After what, 200k or 300k kilometers?

Why do you reckon they're a pain?

Maybe if your job involves selling and fitting timing belts? :D

Chains are generally more durable. A close eye on the tensioners is always a good idea as are (again) regular oil changes.

A chain is no harder to change than a belt generally, in my experince. Some chains are bitche$ to change and some belts are.

Advertisement