Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I report SPAM/PHISHING?

Options
  • 26-02-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this guys...but is there an Irish nline organisation I should report phishing to? It's one of those e-mails you hear about, from an unknown bank that wants me to re-submit my details. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You should forward it to the internet police immediately. :eek:

...or just delete and ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

You should forward it to the internet police immediately. :eek:

...or just delete and ignore it.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would bother to type a reply that's entirely facetious. I'd like to think if someone could prevent another being duped, they would.

Obviously you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

you could report the phishing attempt to your ISP (or your IT Dept. if you got it into a work address)

if a real financial institute is mentioned in the scam ... you should also report to abuse@XXX.XXX where XXX.XXX is the email domain for the organisation (ie aib.ie, or aibgb.co.uk) all financial houses I know of maintain an abuse mailbox, usually manned by IT Security groups.

finally, you could send a copy of the mail to spamsample@messagelabs.com

bear in mind ... just forwarding the mail to these people will be of limited use, as the original mail headers will be overwritten ... it's best if you can get the original SMTP headers, and send those on. Getting the SMTP headers varies depending on your mail client.

I don't know of any one Irish organisation with an overall interest in Spam/Phishing ... would be interested to hear of one.

edit ... Anti Phishing working group ... http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.htm
    I've never mailed them, so I have no idea what they might do

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

trout wrote:
    you could report the phishing attempt to your ISP (or your IT Dept. if you got it into a work address)

if a real financial institute is mentioned in the scam ... you should also report to abuse@XXX.XXX where XXX.XXX is the email domain for the organisation (ie aib.ie, or aibgb.co.uk) all financial houses I know of maintain an abuse mailbox, usually manned by IT Security groups.

finally, you could send a copy of the mail to spamsample@messagelabs.com

bear in mind ... just forwarding the mail to these people will be of limited use, as the original mail headers will be overwritten ... it's best if you can get the original SMTP headers, and send those on. Getting the SMTP headers varies depending on your mail client.

I don't know of any one Irish organisation with an overall interest in Spam/Phishing ... would be interested to hear of one.

edit ... Anti Phishing working group ... http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.htm
    I've never mailed them, so I have no idea what they might do

good luck!

Thanks alot trout that's great. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you receive spam from an eircom address, file a report on eircom's website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement