Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park Experience

Options
  • 26-02-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Now that our first year as tenants in Croke Park has come to an end, I just wanted to know what you thought of the whole experience. Personally I thought the 2 occassions were out of this world, even if the forst result did not go our way.

I think that the GAA should be commended on making the facility available for the hosting of the games and I must say what a stadium. I hope that Landsdown turns out on the same lines.

Also did anyone notice how friendly and approachable the stewards insde and outside the stadium were. We had great craic with them in the Hogan Stand for the English game - alot more friendlier that what I am used to in Landsdown.

Anyhow, roll on next years 6 Nations and Autumn internationals in 'Croker'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

autumn internationals are not in croker..

Anyway, after the world cup in september, the last thing the lads will need is 3 or 4 'meaningless' games a month later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

IMPEGA wrote:
    Also did anyone notice how friendly and approachable the stewards insde and outside the stadium were. We had great craic with them in the Hogan Stand for the English game - alot more friendlier that what I am used to in Landsdown.
    I fully agree with you! Before Ireland -v- France I was taking pictures of my friends and a young steward approached me and said "Get in there with them and I'll take the pictures". At first I thought he would run away with my really expensive D-SLR! :p But turns out he was being genuinely nice! Fair play to them for doing such a great job in such a professional way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From going regularly to Croker always found the stewards excellent. They really act as as ambassadors for the stadium. Always found it very professionally organised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

autumn internationals are not in croker..

Anyway, after the world cup in september, the last thing the lads will need is 3 or 4 'meaningless' games a month later

Think they meant next year's AI's, which, although yet to be confirmed (Central Council delayed a decision) look likely to be hosted in CP (or, at least, some of them will be - IRFU are very keen for the All Blacks test to take place there, naturally)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 IMPEGA

Seanies32 wrote:
    From going regularly to Croker always found the stewards excellent. They really act as as ambassadors for the stadium. Always found it very professionally organised.

well i would not be a regular to Croker for GAA games, but i would have to fully agree on this one. Hats off to them, they were dead sound and are great ambassadors for the GAA and Croke Park Stadium. We had a great laugh and joke with them for the English match.

One thing that stood out for me was seeing how they dealt with an eldery couple who had tickets for the Upper Canal End. They gave them the option of getting the lift up to avoid the stairs or changing their tickets for lower level as they would not be around at end of the game to bring them back down. Fair play to ye lads ye done a great job!! Landsdown officials and stewards take notice, ye could learn a lesson or ten from these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As someone who is a regular in Croke Park, I can tell you that the stewards are always great. You get the same ones covering the same sections, some for years and years, so they even get to know the regulars in those areas. One such individual that I would have known died last year. He was given a minute's silence at the next big day there. He always looked after myself and my father when we were in his section, even going to get us a programme on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I for one wasn't that impressed with the stewarding, was in the Nally for both games but what struck me was the fact entrance into both terraces was haphazard, in Lansdowne, they block off an area and then allow the spillover which is more controlled in my opinion, nothing like that at Croker, people were coming in late on Saturday and standing in the sides where they shouldn't be, where we were standing was packed, overly so I thought, and you had stewards and gardai coming along telling people standing in the sides, "push through there, health and safety don't you know". I thought this was ridiculous and quite dangerous, when we scored our first try there was a small surge just behind us. So definite improvements to be made for next year, I'll certainly be looking for stand tickets despite the price.

Another dissappointing was that there didn't seem to be any allocation of terrace tickets given to away fans, I'd say the only ones who managed to get them were people who are living here.

And what's the story with those metal steps, they're a deathtrap, nearly broke my neck getting out of the ground on Saturday. Must be a health and safety issue with them.

I thought the atmosphere was rather tame for the French match and the English at Croke Park was always going to be a one off exception, won't be the same if and it's unlikely now given what the GAA have said they come back to Croke Park in 2009. Croker doesn't have the acoustics that Lansdowne had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

An Tarbh wrote:
    I thought the atmosphere was rather tame for the French match and the English at Croke Park was always going to be a one off exception, won't be the same if and it's unlikely now given what the GAA have said they come back to Croke Park in 2009. Croker doesn't have the acoustics that Lansdowne had.

I was at the French game and thought the atmosphere was poor. Didn't get a ticket to England game but understand from my friends who were there that it was much better.

It is a nice stadium, however having been to Cardiff last May the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff is much more "rugby friendly". Millenium Stadium is really a cauldron with the stands as close to the pitch as possible. With Croker being a GAA stadium it is too big for Rugby or Soccer.

Saying this, Twickers, Murrayfield and Stade de France all have large gaps around the touch lines and between the dead ball zones and the stands. I just thought when I was sitting up in Row U on Cusack upper I was a bit far from the play.

I hope the design of the new landsdowne is more similar to the Millenium Stadium and does not have these large gaps around the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Peter B wrote:
    [...]Saying this, Twickers, Murrayfield and Stade Francais all have large gaps around the touch lines and between the dead ball zones and the stands.[...]
    That's Stade de France. Stade Français is a team (you probably knew that already though)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

That's Stade de France. Stade Français is a team (you probably knew that already though)...

Cheers, not thinking straight today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I was one of the few IRFU stewards at Croke Park for the matches. I found the GAA stewards working with me to be pretty green compared to my normal Lansdowne Road crew.
    Perhaps they were new but they hadn't got a clue. Had to take charge of a few minor situations as the GAA stewards flaffed and faffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Peter B wrote:
    I was at the French game and thought the atmosphere was poor. Didn't get a ticket to England game but understand from my friends who were there that it was much better.

It is a nice stadium, however having been to Cardiff last May the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff is much more "rugby friendly". Millenium Stadium is really a cauldron with the stands as close to the pitch as possible. With Croker being a GAA stadium it is too big for Rugby or Soccer.

Saying this, Twickers, Murrayfield and Stade de France all have large gaps around the touch lines and between the dead ball zones and the stands. I just thought when I was sitting up in Row U on Cusack upper I was a bit far from the play.

I hope the design of the new landsdowne is more similar to the Millenium Stadium and does not have these large gaps around the pitch.

Would be my one criticism of Croker alright Peter B. At the top of the Hogan etc. it seems very far away from the action. Thought I suppose thats why it holds 82,000. Old Trafford has the same problem. At the lower decks you definitely are closer to the action. The Rugby pitch size being smaller probably detracted from the atmosphere slightly as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

RuggieBear wrote:
    I was one of the few IRFU stewards at Croke Park for the matches. I found the GAA stewards working with me to be pretty green compared to my normal Lansdowne Road crew.
    Perhaps they were new but they hadn't got a clue. Had to take charge of a few minor situations as the GAA stewards flaffed and faffed.
    Did you ban many people from Croker? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh i wish i could!!!! :D

kick out those annoying little schoollboy ****s who think shouting during kicks is cool.

Advertisement