Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce the size of an MPEG movie

Options
  • 26-02-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've got an mpeg video file thats 150mb.. Is there any easy way to reduce the size of it to 10mb ish..??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Sure just use Windows Movie Maker if you want it in WMV.

But the best way and to retain the most quality is to use H.264 video, for that use AutoMKV just set the desired file size and use the HQ-Slow or CE-High profile.

If you reduce it and keep it in it's original MPEG1/2 format you will lose a lot of the quality.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm not familiar with AutoMKV (though I am intrigued...an x264 version of autogk?). I'd suggest checking out AutoGK (link in free software sticky) and using an XVid encode. This will give you an .avi file and a lot of people have the xvid codec already installed (if not, it's a small download. check www.xvid.org). You will definitely lose a chunk of quality. Make SURE you use a 2 pass encode and you'll probably want to drop the resolution somewhat also.

Edit: That AutoMKV looks pretty decent actually. File size option looks to be limited to a drop down (it is fully editable in autogk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah AutoMKV is basically the unofficial replacment for AutoGK it uses x264 but also encodes WMV & XviD as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Alll done! Thanks a lot :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Out of interest, what's the quality of the finished product like? I haven't pushed a codec like that before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Khannie wrote:
    Out of interest, what's the quality of the finished product like? I haven't pushed a codec like that before.

I have to admit I went the lazy way and used windows movie maker! It turned out just fine.

Advertisement