Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect 2 PC's via router

Options
  • 26-02-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Connect 2 PC’s via router

Hi Guys,

How can you do this?

I want to set up remote access for 2 pcs on the same local network.

Both are running XP Pro.

What is the best way of doing that?

Thanks for an y help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Please be more specific. I barely even know what you're trying to ask - are you saying you want to be able to access these externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd say he wants to share files between the two PC's.

Maybe on eis upstairs and one downstairs and he wants to be able to share files without having to run up and down the stairs with CD's or USB drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Do you want to simply share files or be able to use one PC fromt he other.

Either way, both computers need to be connected to the router and both need to be part of the same workgroup. This can be changed by right clicking "My Computer" and clicking properties--> Computer Name --> Change. Then make sure workgroup is selected and the name is the same on both machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is that all you have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

I have used remote access before via thrid party software.

What I want to be able to do is control a pc remotely which is on the same network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Well Tba has told you all you need to know. Once the router is set to DHCP it'll all work automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

That is the start, depends what you wnat to do after that as to detail the next step.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Do you want to know how to use Remote Desktop too, or was it just connecting the two PCs you had trouble with?

Windows XP Pro makes it very easy to control another PC. Just allow users to connect to one of the PCs (Right-Click My Computer / Properties / Remote Tab, then check the obvious box). Then open Remote Desktop Connnection (Start / Programs / Accessories / Communication). Put in the name of the computer you wish to connect to (this is defined in the same place as the Workgroup is as per Tba's post). Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Is it possible to do remote access from a work PC to a home PC and vice versa?

Advertisement