Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My fan is borked.

Options
  • 25-02-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

It's making a buzzing noise that only goes away when I kick the pc.
    I've opened it up, cleaned it, tightened everything up properly and the noise is still there.
    Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Which one?

Remove the sticker and put some grease or oil or wd40 if you have on it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't know anything about computors, but maybe the brushes in the motor of the fan are worn or damaged? Used to play around with servos and other types of electric motors and thats what they did when they were under stress or worn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good article here for fan maintenance. It suggests not using WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sorry, it's the fan at the back. Not the one on the mother board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Just remove the sticker and put some grease on it, i have used wd40 before and it worked fine. But grease is best but who has some spare grease :eek:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cheers, folks.
    I'll sort it out when I get some oil or when I bother getting up and looking in the press in the hall that probably has some 3in1 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That article doesn't really specify if you can sleeve bearing or only ball bearing fans - I assume it's only ball bearing fans?

Anyway, if that's true, most PC fans that start going noisy are cheap crappy sleeve bearing fans. And if I am thinking correctly they cannot be lubricated and you're best off giving up on them and just buying a new (preferably ball bearing) fan alltogether.

3-in-1 Oil FTW! I wouldn't "lubricate" anything with WD40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Yes, ball-bearing fans all the way. I picked up one about a year ago in PC World for around €8.

Don't feel compelled to buy one with a lot of LEDs!

Advertisement