Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultramon question

Options
  • 25-02-2007 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Never used this but may do what i want it to do. Gonna try anyway but someone may know :p

I have an 8800GTX in an SLI board, this fan is damn noisy i also have a 7600GS with no fan. I connect my HD TV to the 8800 and obviously have to higher up the volume to drown out the 8800.

What i would like to do is have the tv running off the 7600gs via DVI and that should in *theory* mean no noise as its HSF gpu. Umm will it work ;p

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the fan on the 8800GTX shouldn't be noisy at least no more so than the previous 7900GTX generation normally it kicks down to a lower speed in Windows and the fan only fires up when it detects Direct3D or OpenGL in use, is the fan running full speed constantly ?

As for the multi-display setup yeah that should work but it wont stop the fan speed on the 8800GTX if it's got power & is running in Windows it will still be going in the background. You may be better of waiting until someone like Zalman or Artic Cooling release a GeForce 8 compatible cooler that runs quieter.

The only other way is to pull the GF8 and use the fanless GF7 card as the only card in the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thanks

The fan is unnaturally loud, but when i use coolbits and make a profile for 10% fan speed its barely audible but it kicks in and ups the speed when a movie is playing. if i could get the 7600 outputting with Ultramon to the tv and add that to the profile for coolbits in theory i should get a qiuet 8800. Just wanted to be sure Ultramon would do it before i pay for it.

Only one way to find out i suppose :)

kdjac

When a movie is playing you say hmm.. HD movies or regular DVD ?

I would be surprised if that fan was spinning up for regular DVD it shouldn't if you are using Purevideo as the DVD decoder.

NVIDIA never exposed the options to disable DXVA in their control panel but the feature is present in WMP11 under tools->performance->advanced that will stop the GPU being used for some video decoding aspects at least. Not sure about third party tweakers Rivatuner might have something.

If it's HD-DVD or Blu-ray content no way to get around that at the moment unless you turn GPU decoding off in the player program but performance will tank in most cases.

Edit: I see what you are trying to do now that probably wont work actually. Though I have never tested out such a combo like that so I cannot say for certain. The 7600GS will in theory only act as a slave display it will not handle GPU video decoding the primary adapter will which is the 8800GTX so you just run into the same problem again I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

HD movies only.

Its the big spin im trying to kill.

kdjac

What kind HD ?

HD-DVD/Blu-ray is it or HD video encodes like VC-1 in WMV or H.264 in MKV/MP4 ?

Also you can test out the dual GPU without needing Ultramon the built in Windows multi display controls should suffice to see if the 7600GS running off it's own display will also do the video decoding as well. Though be aware PowerDVD HD have some issues on multi display setups if thats what your using also I have a feeling whatever is set as the primary display will do the video decoding in the system so if the TV where set as the primary then maybe that might work out but how that would affect games is another matter entirely it might also make the 7600GS the primary for Direct3D and OpenGL as well. Ultramon can force an application to open on another display but whether is will take over DXVA or custom API GPU video decoding duties is something I have never examined so try asking in the developers forums.

Really what you need is a way of setting the 7600GS as the primary means of GPU video decoding and not mess with the rest of the display settings & there in lies the tricky part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement