Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Reasons Why You Should Love Wolf Parade's "Apologies to the Queen Mary"

Options
  • 25-02-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

1) They're Canadian, ey?

2) Spencer Krug's voice is so unique that you may be at first sickened, but like any good thing, you grow to love it.

3) There's a dual vocalist/songwriter thing going on, so the album is very varied. At first I didn't even realise there were two vocalists, which is pretty stupid as they're both totally different. It gives the album two different sides, but its not so far removed as one side not sounding like the band.

4) "Sons and daughters of hungry ghosts go.. LA LA LA LA LA LA". I'm afraid you'll have to listen to the album for this one, but this song never fails to get me moving. What I mean by this point is that every bit of this album is done with such conviction that you can feel the passion behind every note.

5) Namedropping time: the album was produced by Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse (Wolf Parade co-produced it). The drummer Arlen Thompson drummed on an Arcade Fire track. Dante DeCaro (ex-Hot Hot Heat) now plays guitar for them. None of this matters to me as I love the band for who they are, but hey, if it'll get someone to check em out, why not.

6) You probably won't be able to tell how many instruments there are, as they have an unusual keyboard+electonics/keyboard+piano/guitar/drums combination. I've given the number away, but at first I didn't realise there wasn't bass. Aside from track 7, there isn't.

7) They straggle the line between uplifting and depressing and as a result come out with some very interesting concoctions.

8) 99% of the songs are filled with great melodies and intriguing lyrics. I say 99% because there's one track that I'm not too fond of, but everything else is just magnificent. If you listen to this album and can't sing off a few melodies or lyrics, I will be shocked. But perhaps that's just me.

9) Check the video for "Shine A Light" below. Totally amateur, but it works!

10) Enough words. Time to listen.

Vid for "I'll Believe In Anything": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1eLTV89dM

Vid for "Modern World": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nMHGyR_i8g

Vid for "Shine A Light": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYtlEvBX6s

A good live vid of "This Heart's On Fire": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWR8bTp-UV8

An alright live vid of "Sons And Daughters of Hungry Ghosts". It's taken from a bit back in the crowd, and the camera is shakey, but the audio is.. okay. It sounds better on record, but only cos it isn't the best live vid ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQSUoygTJ9s

Let me know what you think, seeing as I put a bit of time into this. I'll do it for other bands if people like the idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

there's no bass:confused:

my bands problems regarding lack of bassist is out the window now:cool:

also this is one very fine album

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Yeah, there's only bass on one track. The rest of what may seem like bass is keyboard.

Good for your band, it's a pity you're not Wolf Parade ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I loves me some Wolf Parade. I also heartily recommend Sunset Rubdown, Spencer Krug's other band/side-project/whatever. Some tracks on Shut Up I Am Dreaming eclipse anything Wolf Parade have put together, IMO. 'Stadiums and Shrines II' gets me every time.

I'd check it out but I'm after getting Frog Eyes and Swan Lake today, not to mention Men, Women & Children's album, and the Gossip's album. So I'll add that to the backlog.
    It's a shame that only pre-Wolf Parade fans have replied to this thread so far, I was hoping for converts, as I'm sure you both know how fantastic WP are once you get down to listening to them.

1. You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son
    2. Modern World
    3. Grounds For Divorce
    4. We Built Another World
    5. Fancy Claps
    6. Same Ghost Every Night
    7. Shine a Light
    8. Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts
    9. I'll Believe in Anything
    10. It's a Curse

Bonus reasons:
    Dinner Bells
    This Heart's On Fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Gatsby

Absolute Cracker of an album.

Never heard of the Sunset Rubdown. Is their stuff easy to get hold of.

Only found out about wolf parade because the were The Arcade Fires opening act for a lot of their gigs Now find that i listen to this album way more than any arcade fire stuff

Easy to get hold of is such a subjective term.. it really depends where you get your stuff. I've found it online on a private tracker. I'll check HMV and stuff when I'm next in town but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Advertisement