Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maxing up an XK8?

Options
  • 25-02-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I don't know too much about modifying/maxing up cars, etc, but I have a 4L Jaguar XK8 and I was wondering if it could be tuned to get more BHP out of it? Currently, I believe it's about 290bhp, but Clarkson seems to think you can get much more from a Jaguar 4L V8 (see last week's episode w/ the Merc) with a good tuning company.

1) How much extra BHP or TORC could I get from it? Which is better to have more of? BHP?
    2) What is Torc? (I've only heard about it on Top Gear)
    3) What would be involved in the process?
    4) How much would it cost?
    5) If I increased the engine output, would it damage or put extra pressure on some of the other standard parts (e.g. brake discs, axle, drive shaft, etc)?
    6) How much would it increase fuel consumption?
    7) Can you recommend anywhere on Dublin's Northside? Has anyone heard of Aiden Birmingham Fuel Injection Services in Baldoyle? They are close to me!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

1) How much extra BHP or TORC could I get from it? Which is better to have more of? BHP?
    Depends how much money you want to spend. I'd say 450 would be comfortable.

2) What is Torc? (I've only heard about it on Top Gear)
    Torque is basically the pulling power of the engine. Torque = good.

3) What would be involved in the process?
    Probably throw in a better supercharger package, exhaust, induction kit and chip it.

4) How much would it cost?
    Lots. If you're modding a Civic there's tonnes of components falling off the shelves. For a Jag, you could be looking at 1500 sterling for an exhaust system alone : http://www.paramount-performance.com/

5) If I increased the engine output, would it damage or put extra pressure on some of the other standard parts (e.g. brake discs, axle, drive shaft, etc)?
    Yes. The drive shaft, etc. should be alright. Just throw in a set of sports brake pads and be aware you'll go through them faster. If you go for huge power you'll need to upgrade everything - gearbox, clutch, the lot.

6) How much would it increase fuel consumption?
    Again, depends on how much you modify it. I've heard of lads increasing fuel consumption 100% with a badly tuned engine, so be sure to re-map the ECU if you do a lot of modification.

7) Can you recommend anywhere on Dublin's Northside?
    I'd say you'd have to go to England to source parts or to find anyone experienced with your exact car.

Advertisement