Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many substitutes in a game?

Options
  • 25-02-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

I realised watching Scotland and Ireland win yesterday that I have no idea how many substitutes are legal. I thought it was 5 but it looked like a free for all yesterday.

Anyone enlighten me?

Also what is the situation vis-a-vis people who have already been on, excluding blood substitution ( I understand this :rolleyes: )?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

7 subs, numbered 16-22. Usually 4 forwards and 3 backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But can all 7 play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thegaffer

All 7 can be used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can you bring a front row back on aswell if the sub has been injuried?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have a real issue with 7 subs being used, I think there should be a max. of 3.

It would mean that a team who has worked for 60mins to gain some sort of dominance particularly upfront isn't then confronted with a whole new front row etc.
    Players now know they are only going to be on for 60mins so can run themselves into the ground for this time

Subs would probably be left till later in the game so as no too risk an injured player taking you down to 14 men.

There would be more space on the park as players tired and I think a more open game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

In League, there's a limit to the number of interchanges made.

Having seven subs is great in that it becomes not just about the starting XV, but about the bench too. Strength in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Penalises Nations with smaller playing base (and don't quote fact that Ireland have small numbers etc, at moment Ireland have embarrassment of riches but this won't always be the case).

Just think if I was a prop who had done a number on my opposite number who then gets taken off just as I am about to turn the screw is not really what I want to see. Guess we won't agree but I feel that games would be far more open and exciting with fewer subs.

There have been a lot of games where after 60mins or so the game as a spectacle ends as you have 2 makeshift teams (am talking about all levels of rugby here not just internationals)

• Advertisement
Advertisement