Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership

Options
  • 25-02-2007 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I should be selling my car today, it's a 91, so it falls under the registered before '93 category and it says I need an RF2 form from my local tax office. I'd be pretty certain they wouldn't be open on a Sunday, are these available online anywhere or in Garda stations does anyone know? If not, would anyone have a spare please?:o

I have the logbook, nct forms and spare key, that's pretty much it, right?

The tax expired at the end of Jan and I'm not sure, but I don't think the buyer is insured on any car at the moment so it will probably take a while before they do that. Can they submit a "not in use" appeal up until the month they decide to tax it so, Including February?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RF200 voila...

Regarding tax, if they buy it off you knowing the tax is out for Feb, yet continue to drive it during Feb then thats their business! If they want to declare it off the road (on the bottom of the motor tax renewal form & stamped by a garda), then they can.

If they are not insured to drive it (when you own it) then don't let them drive it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool thanks for the link, I saw links to the rf200 on the revenue site but didn't know it was the same as the rf2:)

See with the tax thing, it's actually legal to drive a vehicle for the month after the tax has expired. Your given a grace period of the next month to tax it, but you still have to pay for that month on next renewal, unless they say they weren't using it, which they wouldn't be.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    See with the tax thing, it's actually legal to drive a vehicle for the month after the tax has expired. Your given a grace period of the next month to tax it, but you still have to pay for that month on next renewal, unless they say they weren't using it, which they wouldn't be.
    Are you sure that its legal? I believe that its just tolerated.

edit: found this
    The Days of Grace Vehicle Licence is effective for the first seven days of each month.
    The days of grace are used in Motor Tax Offices in the following circumstances:

1. To allow applications to be processed for a particular month that are received in the post where the application was posted at the end of a month received in the Motor Tax Office during the first seven days of the next month
    2. To allow applications rejected at the front counter during a particular month and received back in during the first seven days of the next month.
    3. To alleviate queues at the beginning of the month.

Weird, what's with all these more descriptive laws popping up since the last time I checked? hehe. I was sure it was for another month, I was even stopped about it before and I said to the Garda that it's ok for the month after and she said yeah, just be sure you don't let it run to next month too!

The insurance one is 10 days afaik, I always though the tax was the whole next month, has it changed since I wonder?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I thought you had the whole month to tax it as well.
    It was on my motor tax renewal form afaik.
    As long as you tax your car within the first month after it expired you are ok. You just have to tax it for that month when you are taxing it again

• Advertisement

Unless it's just something they do in Donegal? Had to think for a second if Donegal was in the Republic:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

"The Days of Grace Vehicle Licence is effective for the first seven days of each month.
    The days of grace are used in Motor Tax Offices in the following circumstances:

1. To allow applications to be processed for a particular month that are received in the post where the application was posted at the end of a month received in the Motor Tax Office during the first seven days of the next month
    2. To allow applications rejected at the front counter during a particular month and received back in during the first seven days of the next month.
    3. To alleviate queues at the beginning of the month."

I have yet to see a Co.co. who will process your tax in 7 days. Perhaps they mean 7 working days. I'm nearly sure you will get most of the following month as grace.

Advertisement