Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Mp3 conversion

Options
  • 25-02-2007 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Ok, hoping someone here can help.

I've been trying to upload a few songs onto a site, but the site only takes Mp3 format.

Now, my Creative player only records to .wav files, so I downloaded a .wav to .mp3 encoder (converter thingy).

That worked and the songs came out fine, they sound alright when I play them.

But the only problem is when I upload to the site they come out sped up and weird sounding, like a chipmunk singing.

Any ideas, or am I just talkin a load if sh1te?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

What is the sample rate of your .wav files? If something other than 44.1kHz, that might be the source of your problem. You can resample these to 44.1kHz in just about any wave editor (eg. Audacity). If the site does some kind of re-encoding, it might expect mp3s with 44.1kHz sample rate and fail to recognise and properly handle other less-common sample rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Well, when I take them straight from my mp3 player, these are the stats:

Bit Rate - 1411 kbps
    Audio Sample Size - 16 bit
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Audio Sample Rate - 44 kHz
    Audio Format - PCM

Now the encoder I downloaded 'switch' - will only let me set the bit-rates, minimun and maximum, to either 40 or 48, no option for 44.1 when I'm converting to Mp3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

44.1kHz is the sampling rate, not the bitrate! 40 or 48 kbps MP3s must sound awful :(

I'd recommend CDex or Exact Audio Copy (guide) for converting CDs or WAV files to MP3s, and highly recommend using a bitrate of at least 128 kbps, preferably a lot more (use the "V 2" or "V 3" setting with the LAME encoder).

Advertisement