Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Work All 6Nations

Options
  • 24-02-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the 2 games so far today I noticed that the quality of camera work and directing was particularly poor... An awful lot of replays cut out line-out throws or scrums, some of the camera angles were from very far away etc. And it wasn't just today, it's been all tournament long.. .

Am i the only one who noticed this? Is there a central director or do each broadcaster look after their own home matches (RTE for Ireland, BBC for england, wales and scotland etc.)? Cos all coverage seems similar, regardless of where it's coming from...

I just think that in these days of endless sports coverage that the various broadcasters could do a far better job in presenting one of the major sporting events...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd agree, the shot selection has been very poor, especially on conversions. I like to have a reverse or behind player view, so I can clearly see the posts, not some crappy 45* angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

dulpit wrote:
    Am i the only one who noticed this? Is there a central director or do each broadcaster look after their own home matches (RTE for Ireland, BBC for england, wales and scotland etc.)? Cos all coverage seems similar, regardless of where it's coming from...

I understand that the BBC look after all coverage, and its their feed that's used by the other broadcasters. That would explain why the satellite link kept breaking up, you don't usually see RTÉ feeds breaking up on their short journey to Montrose. It also explains why the score went off from time to time for crowd shots - that was RTÉ breaking away from the BBC feed. It's also explains why for ads on RTÉ featuring match coverage, the score has to be blurred out.

I can't explain why France is an exception, though. French television are providing the coverage for the match against Wales, which is even worse because they're getting replays rewound and lined up for playout on-air. It's also not in widescreen, as George Hamilton pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I can't explain why France is an exception, though. French television are providing the coverage for the match against Wales, which is even worse because they're getting replays rewound and lined up for playout on-air. It's also not in widescreen, as George Hamilton pointed out.
    The BBC feed seems widescreen for me, although there could be some conversion trickery involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The camera-work is a bit crap, particularly so for the first Croker game, because it's BBC coverage and they're not used to the stadium.

Not sure why the BBC are doing the shooting in Croker (no pun intended) instead of RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My point wasn't so much the broadcaster, doesn't matter to me whether its the Beeb or RTE but it was just very poor so far, cutting away too early, not cutting to a scrum/lineout etc. in time or whatever... Very poor...

• Advertisement

I've noticed the missing line-outs as well.. thought it was just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Pretty poor, the french are particularly awful as their directors tend to forget they're filming a sports occasion and not some avant garde piece of high cinematic art, but thus always has it been.

Whatever your feelings on murdoch's Sky, their technical coverage of rugby games is unparallelled, but then again, given the amount of cash we've got to pay it'd bloody well want to be. Technical quality of coverage of rugby league games by sky is particularly good, but then the 13 man game lends itself better to TV I s'pose......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Conversion angles should *always* be behind the kicker. Anyone agree?

Advertisement