Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT, overpriced ...or both ?

Options
  • 24-02-2007 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

06 Dethleffs Globebus (new) from Germany ....37,500 €
    LINK

Same model, slightly different trim, in Ireland ....57,900 €
    LINK

Now, thats a cool 20 k difference. :cool:

So ...you go to Germany, buy the car from the ad, pay ex German VAT (19%), that's 31,500 VAT free.
    Add Irish vat at 21% and you're at 38,115
    Now add 13.5 VRT of the open market selling price and as there is a model for sale in Ireland it would be 13.5% of 57,900 = 7,816.5

38,115 + 7,820 = 45,935 :eek:

So that's still a cool 12 k difference.:cool:

Now the question is ...what would the VRT be if that Irish dealer had a "less optimistic" sales price on the sticker.

Lower, higher, the same ?

Would you be paying more or less for that particular motorhome if there was no reference sample for sale in Ireland?

Or would it depend on what the good folks at VRT central in Rosslare had for breakfast?

Who knows ...

My advice:
    If importing, make sure whatever you choose is over 3000 kg unladen when it gets weighed ...50€ VRT, problem solved :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Ahh but the Irish one has Gold on the taps! :D:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

peasant.... which is exactly why I went to Germany and imported my own motorhome. I reckon I saved EUR10k and quite possible up to EUR15k compared to various contraptions I saw locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sure, and why wouldn't you :D

The infuriating thing is though, if you absolutely have to have a small motorhome (and there are plenty good reasons, the state of Irish roads being one) and you can't make it past the 3000 kg unladen hurdle ...

... no matter how cheaply you buy your motorhome elswhere, you get screwed on the VRT really badly, as it is "calculated" (ha,ha :mad: ) on the basis of the phantasy prices here. Not only that, but until the day when you bring your new motorhome for inspection and assessment at the VRO, you will have no idea, how much exactly you will have to pay.

On the other hand ...if you're buying something new or nearly new over the magical 3 ton mark, you can do a quick web search and find out EXACTLY how much your friendly Irish dealer is attempting to make in the ways of "profit".

German price + 3% (higher VAT) + 50€ (VRT) + X

It's up to you then, to decide whether "X" is worth not having the hassle of importing and the peace of mind of having bought from someone local where you have a bit of a comeback in case of trouble or for servicing and extras.

Advertisement