Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU temperature

Options
  • 24-02-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Folks

have a P4 HT Prescott, 3.2Ghz, running normally at 49 to 54 degrees C, is this normal or running too hot ?

feedback would be appreciated

thanks

W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A little warm but not too bad. It is not going to burn out at that temp anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If thats 54C max under full load, thats fine.
    Once it stays under 60 you should have no problem.
    The p4 cpu's do run fairly hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Thanks guys, for the speedy response.

I got a new fan for the side of my case, should it be an input or output for air

Got 1 input fan on front of case and one at back

What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Teh fan at teh back should be an outake fan . You should have teh one on the side as an intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Teh fan at teh back should be an outake fan . You should have teh one on the side as an intake.

I'm going to have to come round and swap the 'h' and 'e' on your keyboard I think :D Agree on the statement though...side fan best as intake. Also make sure your heatsink is dust free as it can make quite a temperature difference.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys

hopeful wrote:
    I'm going to have to come round and swap the 'h' and 'e' on your keyboard I think :D Agree on the statement though...side fan best as intake. Also make sure your heatsink is dust free as it can make quite a temperature difference.

Hah thanks for taking so much interest. I think it might be handy if you did!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Just out of curiosity my laptop has a P4 cpu and under load runs up to 75C max usually hovers at 70C under load, idle and low load its around 40-50C.

Is there a chance of damage?

It's well known that this pos laptop overheats, just worried about permanent damage.

It's a Inspiron 5150.

Sh*t, installed the extra fan, now I hit 62 degrees C under load, 54 under normal.

Any idea's other than fitting a new cpu cooler ?, which I'm reluctant to do as i've no experience in doing that.

Maybe try removing and reesating the cooler that is on there already. With some decent thermal grease it can work wonders. Failing that a new cooler could be got for €25-30 and are simple enough to fit.

Those Prescotts do run very hot...but 54c at idle is perhaps a tad warm.

I'd go for reseating your cooler and see if that makes a difference first before spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Room temperature can make a big difference as well - is it near a radiator or anything?

@DaSilva: That is pretty hot, but the laptop will switch off it gets to dangerous levels. My friend has a similar laptop and it was getting so hot it was regularly switching off - turns out it was full of dirt and crap inside so he got some friends to clean it out for him. Now it's grand... except the hard disk has bad sectors now (probably as a result of it running so hot for so many years).

I'd recommend this to you as well - there are disassembly instructions on the Dell website if you think you're up to it. It's especially likely to be caked with dirt inside if you're a smoker or there's smokers in your house - from my experience smokers' PCs are always the mankiest inside :)

Thanks Hopeful, yes think I'll have to venture into a new cooler.

So far I've case transplanted my stock FSC SCALEO into a Coolermaster case, fitted new PSU, graphics and X-Fi Fatal1ty sound

Guess I'm now going to be putting on a new cooler.

W

from my experience smokers' PCs are always the mankiest inside :)

'Tis true...the inside of my PC looks like an opium den :D

Got one of these coolers today, going to fit it at the weekend, what do you think , should it do the biz ?

It looks ok. The arctic cooling pro series are supposed to be really good. maybe you could try taht instead.

Advertisement