Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nooo, borken 3.5mm jack inside laptop headphone socket

Options
  • 24-02-2007 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I have managed to break the nib off a 3.5mm headphone jack inside the headphone socket on my macbook. Now I can only get sound by using the broken headphones :eek:

Has anyone been poking about the innards of a macbook pro recently? Do you think I could get at it if I opened it, or would I need to soldier a new socket into the mac?

Or does anyone know where so these sort of repairs cheaply in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That's a tricky one, opening it up will probably void the warranty,and from what I've heard, they aren't really built for opening up.

Is it the whole connector of the jack? Is there any way you could reach it with a pliers or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

instead of soldering in a whole new socket, why not try solder a thin piece of wire (or the old headphone bit) to the bit inside, wait a few seconds for it to dry and see if you can pull it out?

I'd also like to know of anywhere that can fix headphone jacks. The one on my mp3 player is dodgy, if you press off it a certain way, the sounds gets distorted, good job it has a line out socket too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

while i question some of cormie's recent bebo activities, his idea sounds good, even superglue if you're careful might let you pull the plug out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could break the tip off another plug to see if that works for the sound

medical forceps of some descriptions might work

a piece of wire with a 90 degree bend to slip past and then pull back - plenty of light when looking down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Its just the nib at the end, about 3mm long, that is stuck in it right down the bottom.

I'll try the soldier/super glue idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Its just the nib at the end, about 3mm long, that is stuck in it right down the bottom.

I'll try the soldier/super glue idea.
    Be careful!:D

you don't wand to end up witha permanent wire hanging out of the laptop

Managed to get it out with superglue. Took about 10 attempts as it kept loosing its stick. Thanks for the tip (get it? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Congrats :)

tip ?

maybe a q-tip might come in handy next time
    cut a notch in the end so it grab the thing

Congrats :)

tip ?

maybe a q-tip might come in handy next time
    cut a notch in the end so it grab the thing

tip: 1)A helpful hint.
    2) The end of a pointed or projecting object.
    I got both.

Advertisement