Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car from dealer - procedure?

Options
  • 24-02-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, what is the procedure for documents etc. when trading in a car for a newer one at a dealer? What do I have to bring, what do I need from dealer etc.?

Buying a BMW 318 and trading in my polo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot remember completely as it's four years since I last traded but afaik you need to bring your Vehice Licencing Certificate which you and the dealer both sign to say that your old car is no longer yours.

Afaik you sign the new owner section of the Vehicle Licencing Cert and the dealer sends this off to Shannon. 3 weeks later you get a new VLC with your name and address on it as the current registered owner.

Have arrangements made with your insurance company to transfer your insurance cover to the new car from a certain time. Make sure you are at the garage prior to this time. Oh yeah don't forget to remove your insurance disc from your old motor once you get to the garage. Your insurance company may want you to return it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

make sure you see, and read, the actual warranty BEFORE you sign anything.

Ask for, and read, the tax book. Note name/address of previous owner, and read the line 'no of previous owners', and see does it tie in with what you were told.

All being well, and again before signing anything, walk around the car and check that everything works - stuff like elec mirrors & windows, heated rear window, and the dash - no warning lights that stay on , or display's saying 'service', etc.

Check bumpers/fog lights, etc, and see that there's no big cracks in the plastic you may have missed in your excitement initially. Believe, if they're there, and you miss them, you'll find them when you go wash the car for the first time...........and it's a downer - plastics are expensive to fix/replace. In a similar vein, open/close all doors, and listen for rattles - a likely indicator to previous damage and repair.

Make sure the owner's handbook and service book are in the car, and belong to it, and are completed as you may have been told. Make sure you get 2 proper keys, and that they fit and work. If the keys are different for doors & ignition - take a step back, and find out why - crashed, stolen/recovered, or something simpler...?

Take your time - there are far more cars than customers out there, so don't be put under any pressure to hurry up.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement